Anyone else give up for the season?

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I really lost interest after I realized that Jimmy Johnson has mastered the Chase format. As soon as the chase started I told my coworker that Johnson would win, he doesn't care about the regular season.

It was fun to see Kyle and Carl dominate the regular season this year, but in the back of my mind I knew that Jimmy was just sitting back saving his best for the chase.

Jimmy winning the championship for 3 years in a row cannot be a good thing for Nascar. Burton or Biffle winning would be a much better story.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I gotta be honest I've dreaded this would happen all season long. And I was right. JJ would run away with it. I'm a HMS fan and props to Jimmie he knows how to drive and know how to win. Chad Knaus is a great crew chief as well. They're an unstoppable team. He'll be the first to win 3 in a row in 30 years, congrats. But as a fan, even a HMS fan I gotta say. It's become boring. I was rooting for anyone BUT the 48 just out of the fact that its boring to watch the same thing play out three years in a row.
As a feat for the record books it's amazing. Congrats.
As a fan / spectator who like a good show. It's boring.

Of course I'll still watch every race. :eek:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Ok I thought about this for a min. I stand by the fact that this year is BORING because JJ is going to run away with it. But I was thinking of his last to championships. At least they had some excitment. in 06 he had to fight back from a 200+ point deficit and last year he was battling his team mate down to the wire for the title. Johnson just flat out out performed Gordon last year and Gordon was spectacular in the chase. Still wish he could pulled it off.
But this year unless a sleeper comes outta no where its just a JJ snooze fest.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
I still think the chase drivers should have a special point system. If a chase driver wins he gets 43 points and if the driver finishes 43rd, he gets 1 point. basically just reverse the finishing order for points. leading a lap and leading the most laps still give you the respected 5 bonus points.
this would make for a tight championship points battle

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
gave up?

Well, its Jimmie Johnson's trophy and 3 consecutive, BUT, I still will watch to see what can and will play out. What if he falters for one or two races? The chances are there, slim but there, and I want to see how the rest of the Chase Contenders do. I hope after this season NASCAR sees they may need to tweak the Chase so "Mr. Perfect" does not win four in a row. We'll see it is what it is.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
In his defense he's playing within their rules. They suit his style perfectly. Like the old points suited Gordon (would of had six trophies by now :( but coulda woulda shoulda) It sure as hell makes it boring for me and others to watch him run away with it.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
Remember Atlanta 2004 when going in Kurt had it all wrapped up. Coming out he lost over 100+ points to the #2 man at that time? Or was it 2006? well one or the other. But my point is, dont count anyone out just yet. One bad race can change it all in a hearbeat.