Anyone else annoyed with how ABC treats NASCAR?

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I looked to see if this was a thread anywhere here, and the search tool wouldn't let me search for ABC, since it said it was too simple of a word, so if we've been over this before, please don't kill me :)

I'm really sick of how ABC is treating NASCAR like it's a second-tier show. Now, note that my beef here is NOT with ESPN; it used to be, but they've managed to increase their coverage to an acceptable level since they got the contract. However, once we get to the Chase, and ABC coverage, we start seeing fun things such as:

• Pre-emption of the pre-race show because local affiliates decide it's a great place to squeeze in their children's programming
  • Not breaking into commercials when big wrecks occur.
  • Missing restarts because affiliate commercials are running
  • And, my personal favorite, moving a Chase race over to ESPN2 because of a short rain delay and "ABC's GREAT primetime programming is coming up next."

How do they get away with this? You would figure that they'd have something in the contract that AT LEAST says "You have to stay with the race through completion if it's a Chase race". The not breaking into commercials thing is unacceptable too; seeing as Nascar is the only sport I can think of where there are commercials during the action.

Anyone else notice any of this/agree with me? I really hope next time the contract comes up that NASCAR gets it away from the clowns.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Ive never had a problem with any of that, but that could be because i live in Canada and perhaps the affiliates are different around here.

My biggest problem with the TV coverage is how Fox treats their audience like they are 6 year old kids with extreme cases of ADD.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Ive never had a problem with any of that, but that could be because i live in Canada and perhaps the affiliates are different around here.

My biggest problem with the TV coverage is how Fox treats their audience like they are 6 year old kids with extreme cases of ADD.

Yeah, you probably get the feed right from ESPN. I'm not sure if you know how broadcast TV works around these parts, but basically the stations aren't owned by the networks, and that's where most of the problems come in. With the NFL contracts we have here, if the affiliates pull any of that shit, they get fined. HEAVILY. I just find it hard to believe that nascar doesn't have a similar system in place.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Honestly, I've been enjoying listening to the races on the radio. Don't have to deal with those stupid TV commercials and don't have to listen to the stupid stuff said by the talking heads.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
if you have directv, they are using the radio feed for directv hotpass.

Nope, I'm stuck with Comcast. Don't like the idea that DirecTV REQUIRES a two year contract, and the southern view isn't good enough to take the chance of signing one and then when the trees come back have it not work. I had to shoot through a tree to pick up my XM signal.

So my options are WMUR and WCVB. WCVB SUCKS. They process the HD video for their own needs and put all kinds of lower-third graphics in telling me Mass state lottery numbers, which I don't care about at all, seeing as I live in NH. WMUR tries, but being a smallish TV station they sometimes make little mistakes, like forgetting to turn the HD feed on or missing a restart. Basically a no-win situation.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com

I completely Agree...

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Yeah, you probably get the feed right from ESPN. I'm not sure if you know how broadcast TV works around these parts, but basically the stations aren't owned by the networks, and that's where most of the problems come in. With the NFL contracts we have here, if the affiliates pull any of that shit, they get fined. HEAVILY. I just find it hard to believe that nascar doesn't have a similar system in place.

ESPN is not available in Canada. We have TSN that takes over most of the races here in Canada.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
ESPN is not available in Canada. We have TSN that takes over most of the races here in Canada.

Pretty much. You're probably getting the feed directly from ESPN, before ABC even gets to touch it (Does the bottom right corner of your screen say ABC in a big black ball, or do you have the traditional ESPN logos with a ghosted TSN logo in the corner?)

Most of the problems aren't so much ABC (oh believe me they're guilty sometimes, like when they took that race off for a 45 minute rain delay and moved it to ESPN 2 so they could show Desperate Houswives :eek:) as it is the local affilates equipment and the FCC mandate in the US that requires broadcast networks to carry children's programming.

Like I said earlier WCVB 5 Boston BLOWS. They upscale the race to 1080i (it's native 720p, and if you don't know anything about HD signals just know that is REALLY BAD to do with high motion shots) because being total dumbshits, when they ordered their HD news equipment, they ordered 1080i stuff even though ABC is 720p. Then, on top of that, they LOVE their insertion box. Lottery numbers, breaking news, all that fun shit winds up at the bottom of the screen during the race, and ruins it.

WMUR TV 9 Manchester NH, as I said above, tries really hard, but they operate on a low budget, which can cause missed restarts when their local ad insertion machine doesn't give back control to the master ABC feed, or when it forgets to broadcast full 720p.

Our FOX affiliate is great. They only insert bottom thirds on the SD channel and being an O&O we have no problems with commercials running over.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Pretty much. You're probably getting the feed directly from ESPN, before ABC even gets to touch it (Does the bottom right corner of your screen say ABC in a big black ball, or do you have the traditional ESPN logos with a ghosted TSN logo in the corner?)

Not too sure, never really paid attention... I do know it shows TSN in the bottom corner....

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I'm really sick of how ABC is treating NASCAR like it's a second-tier show.

[*]Pre-emption of the pre-race show because local affiliates decide it's a great place to squeeze in their children's programming

I haven't had the other issues from your list but this one is the one that absolutly floored me yesterday. I hurried yesterday to knock some things off my Honey-do List yesterday morning so I could watch the pre-race activities. I tuned into Speed for the last half hour of their coverage and then switched over to ABC for the pre-race. Like you said, children's programming. I was fortunate enough to pull in a signal from another city. I can't believe that all ABC affiliates aren't required to carry the pre-race along with the race. I fired off a email complaint to my local ABC affiliate which I'm sure that it will be forwarded to the trash bin.

if you have directv, they are using the radio feed for directv hotpass.

:bigthumbup::bigclap::ter: I had DirecTV Hotpass from in the beginning. I dropped it when they were having trouble getting the interactive part working. I have to say though since this has become a free service, I like it better than ever. I usually switch over during commercials on the network so that I am still seeing the race. I think the radio coverage is a huge plus to the broadcast. IMO get rid of all of the TV personalities and simulcast the radio coverage.

i could be wrong with directv, but if you buy your own equipment you don't have to sign a contract.

I think you're 100% correct. I used this method for years but just recently they offered to upgrade all of my older receiver to HD receivers for free. I am now only three months into my new two year contract. Just after I upgraded DirecTV dropped VERSUS. :wah: The next two NHL seasons are going to be tough for me. :twitch:

Reactions: flap_jackson