Anyone ditch their landline phone?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Neither my wife nor I make many phone calls and rarely any long distance calls. We both have cell phones. We've got broadband internet through the cable company.

We're considering dumping the $40-something per month landline phone. Any strong enough reasons not to?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Still haven't managed to cut the cord yet. It's nice to get some calls at the house rather than having celly ring all day at work.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I did not have a land line in the first house we bought here in Mass.

When we moved we had to get one due to the fact that I got zero AT&T reception here. At that time I was one year into my iPhone contract.

Now that I have switched to Verizon Wireless, I am pondering giving up our FiOS land line. It is another $35 a month we are spending on something that is rarely used.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I dumped mine about 2.5 years ago. My work cell phone has plenty of minutes alloted each month.

I do have to call the United Kingdom two or so times a month but I use a TracFone for that (pay as you go). Still a lot cheaper than having a landline phone. On average, it is maybe 10 bucks a month.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have not had a landline since 2002. I see no reason whatsoever to have one when you have a cell phone. I much prefer my cell because that way my home phone is always with me no matter where I go. Now in some cases that can be good and bad, but I do use my voice mail when I need to screen my calls. I have told my family, friends, co-workers and business associates, if you don't leave a message don't expect a call back.

911 services also work with cell phones now days that is a requirement of their infrastructure.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I've had to pay for landlines in the past because the phone companies MAKE you pay for a basic plan to get DSL, but I haven't had a phone hooked up in probably 10 years.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Haven't had a phone in a few years. We had Vonage for a while, but you could do more stuff with a cell phone than you could that.

I pay $80 or more per month on my iPhone so it's not really cost effective to have another line to begin with.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
We've considered it, but with kids we feel better having it available though it irritates me to no end shelling out $28 a month for it. I don't have call waiting, caller id, or even a long distance plan tied to it just so I can control the costs. We do need to have it plugged into our Dish receivers so we can get the multiple tuner discount on the monthly fee for them.

My brother has never had a landline though and it works for him along with some others I know around the office.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
We do need to have it plugged into our Dish receivers so we can get the multiple tuner discount on the monthly fee for them.

I dropped DirecTV over that. One receiver died, so I looked into replacing it and found you had to have a landline so it could call home and tell them what you're watching.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I dropped DirecTV over that. One receiver died, so I looked into replacing it and found you had to have a landline so it could call home and tell them what you're watching.
digital cable watches what you watch too.
The Patriot act watches everything you type, say or view over IP tho-

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
digital cable watches what you watch too.
The Patriot act watches everything you type, say or view over IP tho-

I don't care if they know what shows I watch. What I cared about was paying a monthly fee for a land line just so I could use DirecTV.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Oh got ya-

I know years ago DTV used to allow for no land line installs but would actually dock the installers pay if the customer didn't want a landline hooked up, or couldn't due to cabling or lack of service ect.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We do long distance so we have the land line. Also having a phone in each room is nice. I would have to carry my cell around and would probably forget it on the other side of the appt when I am receiving a call.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
We do long distance so we have the land line. Also having a phone in each room is nice. I would have to carry my cell around and would probably forget it on the other side of the appt when I am receiving a call.

If I'm expecting a call I carry my cell with me around the house. If I'm not expecting a call then no one should be calling me and they can leave a message.

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
We still use the land line, I live in a cement house so we don't get cel reception inside..we literally have to stand in the yard to get our phones to work..