Any of you Sirius listeners remember "Wax" on Sirius 42 back in the day?

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
This was a great channel of nonstop hip-hop/rap remixes! It was very unique, and for some reason I thought about it today and how much I used to like listening to it.

j_mact

Dec 4, 2008
Yes, I remember Wax 42. I have to admit, I wasn't completely in love with the channel, but I did not like the fact that sirius cut that channel (and 52 Slow Jams) with no replacement.

RyanSirius

Oct 11, 2008
Yeah, loved the Wax42. Mixshows all day, the DJ at the helm was the legendary Red Alert.. Great channel to hear mixing all day, every day... RIP

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Speaking of cutting channels, when Sirius & XM merged, the Groove was not brought over to the Sirius side, Soul Town absorbed XM's Soul Street and Heart & Soul took on SUite 62's programming- no problem so far? Well, Soul Town used to play mostly late 60s to late 70s R&B, and Hart & Soul took over from the late 70s thru the 80s & 90s into today's R&B hits, but both changed. Soul Town had to adjust to encompassing the 50s thru the mid 70s and Heart & Soul all but dropped any 80s R&B. You can find it on XM still late 70s and 80s R&B with the Groove,but no longer on Sirius. Classic hits by Parliament, Cameo, Kool & The Gang, Gap Band, Barkays, LTD, Freddie Jackson, Luther, George Clinton, Brick, Commodores, Dazz and on & on- no longer heard on Sirius. An entire era of R&B/Soul & Funk no longer gets time on Sirius- basically 20 years of no music programmed/offered on the dog. What a loss and what a foolish blunder- it almost smacks of insult to the audience and age group this appeals to. 19 rock channels but no channel for soul from 1976- 1995!!! What gives???:mad:

Troglodyte

Nov 11, 2008
Speaking of cutting channels, when Sirius & XM merged, the Groove was not brought over to the Sirius side, Soul Town absorbed XM's Soul Street and Heart & Soul took on SUite 62's programming- no problem so far? Well, Soul Town used to play mostly late 60s to late 70s R&B, and Hart & Soul took over from the late 70s thru the 80s & 90s into today's R&B hits, but both changed. Soul Town had to adjust to encompassing the 50s thru the mid 70s and Heart & Soul all but dropped any 80s R&B. You can find it on XM still late 70s and 80s R&B with the Groove,but no longer on Sirius. Classic hits by Parliament, Cameo, Kool & The Gang, Gap Band, Barkays, LTD, Freddie Jackson, Luther, George Clinton, Brick, Commodores, Dazz and on & on- no longer heard on Sirius. An entire era of R&B/Soul & Funk no longer gets time on Sirius- basically 20 years of no music programmed/offered on the dog. What a loss and what a foolish blunder- it almost smacks of insult to the audience and age group this appeals to. 19 rock channels but no channel for soul from 1976- 1995!!! What gives???:mad:

Well you know what it is, Joe. They don't care or desire the audience that likes this type of music. You see what they did to the decades channel. I'm just glad they didn't cancel those channels outright. I sure miss Soul Street.

Cardville

Apr 10, 2009

Sirius definitively needs more R&B/Funk. The fact that they took away all old school rap for a while makes you wonder what this company is thinking sometimes?:confused:

Troglodyte

Nov 11, 2008
We don't have to say it, we know what time it is.

Well, I'll say it! It's obvious that the people running Sirius/XM worked in AOR or classic or modern rock radio. That's where their allegiance is. Any other genre of music they could give a crap about. Anyone notice on the decade channels, besides the shrunken playlists, the abundance of classic rock on the 60's, 70's and 80's channels? And any other genre like R&B, country, MOR and pure pop gets treated like novelties that get rushed off so they can play "Hotel California" or "Layla" again. The 70's channel will play the full version of "Free Bird" but won't play many top ten even no. 1 songs!

As for R&B, like you all mentioned, they so can't give a crap about this music they don't even notice they are missing an entire era of music by not bringing The Groove to Sirius. And with Soultown, they are trying, but it sounds so unfocused and disjointed and the disc jockeys, as great as they are, sound so disconnected from the music.
The merger was the worst thing to happen to US, the listeners.

Cardville

Apr 10, 2009
Well, I'll say it! It's obvious that the people running Sirius/XM worked in AOR or classic or modern rock radio. That's where their allegiance is. Any other genre of music they could give a crap about. Anyone notice on the decade channels, besides the shrunken playlists, the abundance of classic rock on the 60's, 70's and 80's channels? And any other genre like R&B, country, MOR and pure pop gets treated like novelties that get rushed off so they can play "Hotel California" or "Layla" again. The 70's channel will play the full version of "Free Bird" but won't play many top ten even no. 1 songs!

As for R&B, like you all mentioned, they so can't give a crap about this music they don't even notice they are missing an entire era of music by not bringing The Groove to Sirius. And with Soultown, they are trying, but it sounds so unfocused and disjointed and the disc jockeys, as great as they are, sound so disconnected from the music.
The merger was the worst thing to happen to US, the listeners.

I listened to a show called after hours on 51. And I liked the music so much I went to the sirius website.... and it wasn't even on there?:scatch: