Any news on combining services for dual subs?

Couchpotato

Dec 19, 2008
Michigan
As a subscriber to both services, has anyone heard of any news on being able to combine the billing of XM to Sirius or vise-versa? That would make the upcomming increases alittle easier to deal with for dual subs..Thanks

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
FWIW I spoke to an English speaking, American, CSR a few days ago. I asked him a few questions about whats coming. He confirmed the $2 increase on additional subs. Confirmed the loss of free 32k stream. (128k stream will be $2.99) Stiletto customers won't get free wifi either. I also asked if Dual subs would be able go under one account, and bill as additional receivers, and his response was "not yet".

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Stiletto customers won't get free wifi either.

According to Taylor's contact that is not true. Stiletto's will still get the free 32kb feed, but will have to pay to get the 128kb feed just like they are doing now.

So this CSR apparently is incorrect, but I guess no one will know for sure until March, but I am pretty sure Taylor's contact is pretty reliable in terms of info and would believe them much sooner than a CSR as we know they don't always know the exact logistics of changes.

Also we know the Stiletto doesn't use the same feed as the web SIR service, they have a separate server, which Zing use to manage or perhaps still does, so this is how that would be accomplished. They can recognize the type radio it is from your ESN and that would get you access via the Zing servers.

It really would be a good thing for them to be able to offer dual subs the secondary sub discount, I think that would go a long way in lessening the blow on this price increase, though it may also cost them too much money to do that depending how many many dual subs there are. One thing for sure I think since the channel mergers that there aren't nearly as many as there were.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
I have heard directly from Jon Zellner at XM that the merging of the billing systems is in the works and WILL allow for "multi plan" discounts between services (i.e., "dual subs"). He didn't know the timeframe for it, though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have heard directly from Jon Zellner at XM that the merging of the billing systems is in the works and WILL allow for "multi plan" discounts between services (i.e., "dual subs"). He didn't know the timeframe for it, though.

:bigthumbup:

That is a good thing, I would think at this point dual sub counts are probably pretty low especially as I said in my previous post since the channel mergers.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
:bigthumbup:

That is a good thing, I would think at this point dual sub counts are probably pretty low especially as I said in my previous post since the channel mergers.

I think you'll see that mostly in OEM setups where you buy a car and it comes with one or the other. For example, my car comes with the Sirius OEM tuner, while my wife's Acura only had the XM option. It would be nice to combine everything and maybe save a buck or two per month.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
According to Taylor's contact that is not true. Stiletto's will still get the free 32kb feed, but will have to pay to get the 128kb feed just like they are doing now.

So this CSR apparently is incorrect, but I guess no one will know for sure until March, but I am pretty sure Taylor's contact is pretty reliable in terms of info and would believe them much sooner than a CSR as we know they don't always know the exact logistics of changes.

Also we know the Stiletto doesn't use the same feed as the web SIR service, they have a separate server, which Zing use to manage or perhaps still does, so this is how that would be accomplished. They can recognize the type radio it is from your ESN and that would get you access via the Zing servers.

It really would be a good thing for them to be able to offer dual subs the secondary sub discount, I think that would go a long way in lessening the blow on this price increase, though it may also cost them too much money to do that depending how many many dual subs there are. One thing for sure I think since the channel mergers that there aren't nearly as many as there were.

It was from the Product Development team that was able to supply that info.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
So if I own a Stiletto SL100 Sub, I will still be able to listen online for free at 32kbps? If so, I'll be a happy camper. I don't mean via WiFi, I mean via Sirius web player or Star Playr.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
By online, if you mean through the wi-fi capability of the SL100, then apparently yes. If you mean via a web browser on your computer, then I think the jury is still out (but the answer is probably no, unless you have a lifetime sub). Anyone else care to chime in??

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It was from the Product Development team that was able to supply that info.

Thanks Taylor for that clarification!

So if I own a Stiletto SL100 Sub, I will still be able to listen online for free at 32kbps? If so, I'll be a happy camper. I don't mean via WiFi, I mean via Sirius web player or Star Playr.

Well that is how it is now, but in my opinion, you'll likely only be able to get it on the Stiletto because that is a different server. I think if you want it via the web, you'll have to pay.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

With the price adjustment, its now just a $4 difference rather than $6. Makes it easier to swallow.

I think you'll see that mostly in OEM setups where you buy a car and it comes with one or the other. For example, my car comes with the Sirius OEM tuner, while my wife's Acura only had the XM option. It would be nice to combine everything and maybe save a buck or two per month.

And those of us who have lifetimes on Sirius. There is just no way I could do what I do now with just Sirius radios.

I think that is probably why the CSR and Tom Taylor's contact are contradictory. The CSR is probably correct in that you will not have a web login for the 32k stream. Tom's contact is probably correct in that you will be able to listen via the SL100.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think that is probably why the CSR and Tom Taylor's contact are contradictory. The CSR is probably correct in that you will not have a web login for the 32k stream. Tom's contact is probably correct in that you will be able to listen via the SL100.

When you put it that way, it makes sense! You are probably right!

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Perhaps one of the reasons the price was raised on multi-radios was to make up for the "dual subs". i.e., once they allow XM'ers to subscribe a SIRIUS radio on their plan, they would've lost $6 per dual-subscriber...now they'll only lose $4 per dual-sub.