any apps for using iphone as FM receiver?

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
Is there any apps to use the iphone as FM receiver? or AM? or does the iphone have any built in radio? ONLY for listening to my Sirius sportster receiver when motoring around the house or yard, it works everywhere backyard, front yard and every room in my house! with it's old 87.7 strong FM transmitter. Picking up my 32 GB 3gs iphone tomorrow and this might be a good way to not use up monthly data streaming to phone, Just curious because I use my current phone's FM radio to listen to my Sirius sportster receiver. I will never listen to testicle radio again because of the COMMERCIALS, just to listen to my Sirius sportster or maybe AM to listen to the Leafs lose or any other NHL games if not near TV, PC or car. I might add NHL from best of XM now that I will be streaming on iphone or is there a better way to catch NHL only games with iphone? besides the obvious.

Last edited:

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
The 3GS has a built-in FM receiver which at this time is used only for the Nike+ app, but it's not enabled for OTA radio at this time. They may enable it in a future firmware update though.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The only thing I've heard of on that front, is a possible app that plays local FM radio, beyond that I don't think it would work with/as a transmitter.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yes there are rumors that there maybe a future update and application that will allow the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch (Gen3) to make use of its FM chipset. Again just a rumor so who knows. I really wish they would do this not that I listen to FM, but there are times when something is going on local that having access to local broadcast would be nice.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Yes there are rumors that there maybe a future update and application that will allow the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch (Gen3) to make use of its FM chipset. Again just a rumor so who knows. I really wish they would do this not that I listen to FM, but there are times when something is going on local that having access to local broadcast would be nice.

About the only thing I do listen to on FM is public radio, of which are quite a few good ones in this area. Beyond that, really nothing. Even the 'local' content isn't all that local. Good luck trying to get a traffic or weather report. Luckily there's an app for that, too. :D

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
About the only thing I do listen to on FM is public radio, of which are quite a few good ones in this area. Beyond that, really nothing. Even the 'local' content isn't all that local. Good luck trying to get a traffic or weather report. Luckily there's an app for that, too. :D

In the last several years the only time I've listen to local FM was to get the scores on Friday Night high school football games and even listen to some games. The other times during power outages in hurracanes to find out what was going on locally. No other time do I have any need or interest, but having this ability on the iPhone would be a plus. I also think most other MP3 players out there this is pretty standard.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
In the last several years the only time I've listen to local FM was to get the scores on Friday Night high school football games and even listen to some games. The other times during power outages in hurracanes to find out what was going on locally. No other time do I have any need or interest, but having this ability on the iPhone would be a plus. I also think most other MP3 players out there this is pretty standard.

Would it be nice? Sure. But it's not a deal-killer for most people. Hell the generation that has adopted iPods as their chosen technology (18-34) doesn't even HAVE a favorite local station, they mainly get their music ideas from friends or online. As it stands I used to listen to local radio to hear the baseball broadcast, or listen to a Nuggets game, now with MLB at Bat and NBA Game Time I don't even have to do that. That's the only use I can see for it, is what you mentioned during Hurricanes, even then I'm lucky if the local 'news' stations choose to focus on the weather. One instance where I was listening to a station during Tornado season, hell, during a TORNADO WARNING, and the hosts were talking about Jon and Kate. No mention of the weather to be heard, save for a small snippet in the news broadcast (if you want to call it that). Even during those times I can get better information from online sources.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Would it be nice? Sure. But it's not a deal-killer for most people.

For those that just want to have this feature they would buy something other than an iPod, this would just be one more plus thing for the iPod and iPhone to have. Folks know when they buy an iPod or iPhone right now that isn't a feature you get and yet Apple has still sold about 80 million combined? I think that says it all!

I have to say the local FM stations in our area do a good job covering hurricanes etc. There is much info like local shelters and places to get water and/or other essentials that you could never find online and in many cases there is no internet because there is no power, hell during hurricanes even cell towers go down. The local option while no deal killer is important none the less for many especially those in hurricane strike zones. I'd certainly never be without an FM radio and I don't think anyone with any sense would be.

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
I have a sandisk clip that I use in this case.

It would be nice if I could listen to FM on the touch. There's two places I would use it all the time.

Keep in mind I have a touch so no built in internet and I don't want to pay for sirius streaming anyway.

1) while working in the yard.......I always use my Sandisk clip to listen to sirius. I set the sirius boombox to a certain FM station and turn the speakers down. (Can't really listen to howard or bubba or any other specials while mowing the lawn, etc)

2) The gym, while running I like to listen to news or shows on tv. They all have those fm transmitter things.......it'd be lovely if I could eliminate my clip in favor of the touch.