Antenna Modification Help

poppagrande

Sep 22, 2009
I have a Sirius Sportster which I use exclusively in the rental cars I drive 20-24 days a month. I just stick the antenna on the dash board, and it works great. However, I only need about 4-6 feet of antenna, and the cord is probably 20-40 feet if I stretched it out. I would like to cut it down to 5-6 feet. has anyone tried this? I have zero technical knowledge, can someone suggest a place to take it to? I don't care if I ruin one, as I have a backup which I will be happy with if it doesn't work after cutting it, and would love to have an antenna that is more portable, as it is a pain in the ass to gather up the cord and stick it in my carry case twice a week when I move on to a new city. Thanks!

poppagrande

Sep 22, 2009
Do you not recommend trying to cut the current antenna because you've tried it? or because they say not to do it in the manual? I would love something like that motorcycle antenna if it was a few feet longer.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Do you not recommend trying to cut the current antenna because you've tried it? or because they say not to do it in the manual? I would love something like that motorcycle antenna if it was a few feet longer.

I've never tried it and do not recommend it because I've heard from people who have tried it. They say it's a nightmare.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from others'.