Another Reason I Will Not Miss artie When He Goes, No Matter Which Way He Goes

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
I was listening to the Ron Howard interview on MMT this weekend and was completely riveted to it. Suddenly I noticed something was missing, yup arties constant interruptions and his hijacking of almost every interview he is there for.

In place of arties antics perfectly interlaced and in direct proportion to the flow of the interview were Jackie's cackles in the background and muffled shouts of joy,humor and surprise at what was being said. Not once did Jackie step on or hijack the interview, but you knew he was present and you knew he contributed by his cackle in the background.

Those were the days.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
In might sound obvious to say this, but not only is that ever present chuckle from Jackie missed, but the silly one liner or obscure reference delivered from Howard's mouth was also part of the Jokeman's arsenal.

Though I don't hate Artie nearly to the level that you do, in fact I don't really hate him at all, I do think those years when Artie wasn't on the show as being the best years for the Stern show.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

In might sound obvious to say this, but not only is that ever present chuckle from Jackie missed, but the silly one liner or obscure reference delivered from Howard's mouth was also part of the Jokeman's arsenal.

Though I don't hate Artie nearly to the level that you do, in fact I don't really hate him at all, I do think those years when Artie wasn't on the show as being the best years for the Stern show.

I agree whole heartedly with you on your first paragraph, but have disagree with your second paragraph to the extent that I harbor hate for artie or anyone else for that matter. But I do agree that that the best years of Howard were pre artie.

I am not sure where you got the idea that I hate artie. Hate is a very harsh word and an even harsher emotion. It would take a lot more then artie's antics to get me to hate him or anyone else. If you said that you couldn't match my level of dislike for artie you may have been more accurate.

I never got artie and still don't. He didn't bother me half as much in his early years on the show because he seemed to know his place and wasn't as vocal or arrogant (IMO) as he is currently.

I blame Howard for encouraging artie to be a more active participant on the show. I have said it before and I will repeat it here, I think Howard has gotten lazy. If you listen to MTT the show was Howard with a supporting cast of Robin, Jackie, Fred & Gary followed by the secondary cast Stuttering John, KC etc....., whack packers.

If you listen currently the show should be retitled The artie & Howard Show. Howard has chosen (IMO) to take a back seat and to let the show be more hap-hazard in its flow.

I would love to see artie replaced with someone who not only claimed to be a fan but was funny and actually got the show and let Howard do his thing.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I am not sure where you got the idea that I hate artie. Hate is a very harsh word and an even harsher emotion. It would take a lot more then artie's antics to get me to hate him or anyone else. If you said that you couldn't match my level of dislike for artie you may have been more accurate.

I'm not sure either. I might have just made a big mistake in assuming that you hated him by confusing you with someone else that does hate him. I should have just replied back from what was in your post instead of trying to ascertain your past posts from my memory. Sorry.

Reactions: jamesp717

electricpotato

Oct 16, 2008
I blame Howard for encouraging artie to be a more active participant on the show. I have said it before and I will repeat it here, I think Howard has gotten lazy. If you listen to MTT the show was Howard with a supporting cast of Robin, Jackie, Fred & Gary followed by the secondary cast Stuttering John, KC etc....., whack packers.

If you listen currently the show should be retitled The artie & Howard Show. Howard has chosen (IMO) to take a back seat and to let the show be more hap-hazard in its flow.

I would love to see artie replaced with someone who not only claimed to be a fan but was funny and actually got the show and let Howard do his thing.

I think it's just a natural evolution of the show. The dynamics have changed. Since the move to satellite, the actual show time has probably increased drastically (and by "show time" I mean on-air non-commercial time). Howard runs 4-5 hours a day. I don't know about you, but I don't think I could speak 4 or 5 hours a day 4 days a week every single day. I think Artie's interaction on the show probably helps Howard a lot and helps move things along even when he's interrupting and telling a 5 minute story that may be semi-related to the topic at hand.

The funny thing is that the old-school Howard listeners, like yourselves seem to be, love Jackie. I never listened to Howard before 1/9/06 because I live in the Atlanta market and he's never been here (bible-belt and all that nonsense).
I can't stand to hear Jackie's chuckle. Whenever Howard tells a joke and Jackie laughs hysterically, you know right away he wrote it. That drives me AND my wife insane. I'll take Artie any day.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I am also one of those people that only started listening to Howard on 1-9-06. He was on in my city, but I was in high school at the time and I could only catch maybe the first half-hour of the show. I watched him on E sometimes, but that was also after Artie joined. Whenever I listen to a pre-Artie MTT I actually miss him. Don't get me wrong, I love Jackie too. I was listening to yesterday's MTT and a guy called in offering to sleep with Hank the Dwarf. The caller mentioned that people always think he's gay for some reason, and Jackie let out a laugh at precisely the right moment and I cracked up. I am also one of the few people who like the Joke Hunt because I like hearing all of Jackie's crazy stories.

My basic opinion on Artie is that he got better once the show moved to satellite. Whenever I hear him on a MTT, he seems a little restrained. Part of this is probably because of the censorship, and part of it could be drugs, but like him or not, you have to agree that he got funnier after the big move.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I'm not sure either. I might have just made a big mistake in assuming that you hated him by confusing you with someone else that does hate him. I should have just replied back from what was in your post instead of trying to ascertain your past posts from my memory. Sorry.

Your memory was spot on, no confusion there!

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't hate the guy, but I think he has been dragging the show down. I really don't care if he stays or leaves. I almost prefer he would leave and we get someone new for the rest of Howard's contract.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I am an long-time listener. Howard once said to Artie "you are in my head five hours a day".. In my opinion, Artie is far more sophisticated than Jackie. His mind comes up with brilliant allusions and quips. He is on Howard's level and I think Howard appreciates it ... as does Fred. He and Howard and Robin and sometimes Fred really get into great riffs on anything...Artie connects everything with comments and quips. The Sirius no-interruption format facilitates it. Jackie, in my opinion, was a lowest common denominator one-liner guy. Whenever given a chance to do some jokes, he laughed throughout ... very irritating. And he just wasn't funny. Have you heard his show? The funniest thing about Jackie was how Howard and Robin dumped on him. He had a ridiculously high opinion of himself and was shot down continuously. The one thing I miss about Jackie is that he was a part of the family. Artie is more of a loner.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
I am an long-time listener. Howard once said to Artie "you are in my head five hours a day".. In my opinion, Artie is far more sophisticated than Jackie. His mind comes up with brilliant allusions and quips. He is on Howard's level and I think Howard appreciates it ... as does Fred. He and Howard and Robin and sometimes Fred really get into great riffs on anything...Artie connects everything with comments and quips. The Sirius no-interruption format facilitates it. Jackie, in my opinion, was a lowest common denominator one-liner guy. Whenever given a chance to do some jokes, he laughed throughout ... very irritating. And he just wasn't funny. Have you heard his show? The funniest thing about Jackie was how Howard and Robin dumped on him. He had a ridiculously high opinion of himself and was shot down continuously. The one thing I miss about Jackie is that he was a part of the family. Artie is more of a loner.

Two attributes I would never use to describe Artie. Good point regarding Jackie. F Timmy!

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008

No problem, I understand how things tend to get twisted on these boards. Your man enough to admit when your wrong,unlike some.

Apology accepted.

GrĂĽpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Alright, I'll put in my 2 cents.

I only started listening regularily on 1-9-06. Aside from that, I caught the E! show, but I was like 13-16 at the time when i watched that, and I didn't get a lot of that, and didn't even realize what the show was about as a whole at the time.

I like Artie on the show, he's funny and quick when he wants to be, and as mentioned above, is on the same level as everyone else, where as Jackie always seemed to take the low route to comedy sometimes and would be too caught up in himself to make a valid joke or point sometimes...Artie can be annoying, but looking back at the MTT's and old stuff I've listened to, I think I enjoy todays show and the iteration of it now then the past. I do wish there was as much energy in the show sometimes as there was back then, and I do like Billy West, but I realize the show has evolved and changed with the times, and it won't go back to that. In it's current state, it's a much more lax, fun setting, and not 'plot based'. As in, there isn't a premise to the show every day, like there sometimes would be back then. Not as many written bits, events, and things they try to get done in one show. Now, they just come on the air, BS, interview, and all that fun stuff, which I enjoy.

Either way, I think Artie contributes to the CURRENT iteration of the show just fine, if he were in the 90's version of the show, he'd be left in the dust.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
I liked Jackie at the time, but would be completely sick of his schtick at this point. I like Artie, too. It is what it is. My dad used to say "Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first."

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I liked Jackie at the time, but would be completely sick of his schtick at this point. I like Artie, too. It is what it is. My dad used to say "Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first."

My dad used to say the same thing. I loved Jackie on the show. I didn't like what Jackie did behind the scenes; his holdouts, his perks, his sabotaging any trip (Las Vegas), any venture (E! Show nonsense) that didn't have something special in it for Jackie. He made Howard funnier, but I think Artie makes Howard smarter.

But like you said, it is what it is. You listen, you pay . . . you don't listen, you cancel. Otherwise, you end up with a handful of shit, wishing for something to wipe it with.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I miss Jackie. I've been listening since 1998, and the one thing Jackie would do best is stir the pot with the staff. Jackie had a manipulative power that is unmatched by anyone sitting in the studio at any point in time. It may not make a relaxing work environment, but IMO, it made radio gold.

Reactions: jamesp717

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

artie sleeping through the Joan Rivers interview worked out well for me, I actually was able to listen to it and enjoy it. :bow:

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
In my opinion, Jackie was great on the show and Artie is great on the show. They both brought/bring different things to the table and add to the dynamic in different ways. However, I have to say that Artie has been kind of annoying the last few weeks. It almost feels like he is too comfortable now, and that keeps him from shutting the heck up once and a while and letting the show exist for a few minutes without his voice. I hope he goes to rehab soon as he is obviously not clean. I'm currently listening to the show while Artie is sleeping in the green room, and it's kinda nice to just have Howard, Robin, and Fred riffing on the news.