Another Loss For Music Today

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This tune is prett cool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6MIChyCBAU&feature=fvw]YouTube - LCD Soundsystem - Movement[/ame]

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just heard this song on Alt Nation on the way home...bummer. :(

I had it on at work tonight, but didn't have it loud enough to hear if they said anything about him before they played it. I checked out some of the other tunes on the Youtube. Pretty cool stuff.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
What a strange way to die. And to think the last music the dude ever heard would be elevator music. Damn.

Reactions: HecticArt

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
If Boombox was still around, you would know more of their music...

The couple hours on Saturday night on Alt nation doesn't quite cut it.

Right on homey. Boombox is my one big post merger regret. I loved that channel and can't believe they haven't brought it back--it was the best music channel.

Anyway, I read the NY Times article that Hectic was kind enough to post but it never says that he was in the band LCD Soundsystem--a member of LCD was quote but it never says he was in the band? So, was he or was he not the drummer.

Article Here:

Drummer Dies After Fall in Elevator Shaft
Sign in to RecommendTwitter Sign In to E-Mail Print
Reprints
Close
LinkedinDiggFacebookMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalinkBy COLIN MOYNIHAN
Published: November 8, 2009
Gerhardt Fuchs grew up playing the drums in Georgia and went on to perform with bands that toured across the country, but it was in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that he forged his reputation as a dynamic, driving drummer widely esteemed by his peers.

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Jerry Fuchs
And it was in that same neighborhood, in the shadow of the Williamsburg Bridge, that Mr. Fuchs, known as Jerry, fell to his death on Sunday morning in the elevator shaft of an industrial building on Berry Street.

“His passing puts an enormous hold on the Brooklyn music scene,†said Jon Fine, a friend of Mr. Fuchs’s and a columnist for Business Week. “The world of independent music has sustained a really significant loss.â€

At about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, Mr. Fuchs, 34, who had attended a benefit party on the building’s seventh floor, was stuck on a freight elevator between the fourth and fifth floors, friends and the police said. He had been trying to jump out of the stalled car when his jacket got caught on something, causing him to fall to the bottom of the shaft. Another man, who was not identified by the police, was riding with Mr. Fuchs in the elevator but safely jumped to a fourth floor hallway.

Alex Frankel, Mr. Fuchs’s roommate in Bushwick, who sings with the band Holy Ghost!, said he arrived at the party just before 1 a.m. and heard that somebody had fallen. He peered into the shaft and saw a figure lying face down.

“We flipped him over and it was Jerry,†Mr. Frankel said. “When we found him he was not able to talk.â€

Mr. Fuchs was pronounced dead at Bellevue Medical Center.

There is no suspected criminality, the police said. The medical examiner and the Buildings Department are investigating.

Mr. Fuchs grew up in Marietta, Ga., and attended the University of Georgia, in Athens. He moved to New York in 1995 to join Mr. Fine’s band, Vineland. Eventually he played hundreds of shows with other bands, including the Juan MacLean, Turing Machine, Holy Ghost! and Maserati.

Mr. Fuchs was known for his adaptability: His signature style could carry a band and inspire imitation.

“He could play metal,†Mr. Fine said. “Prog rock with multiple time signatures, aggressive indie disco.â€

Recently, he performed with an electronic band from Toronto, MSTRKRFT, on the “Late Show With David Letterman.†Friends said that Mr. Fuchs had been preparing for a trip to France.

He earned the admiration of other accomplished musicians, who cited Mr. Fuchs’s combination of skill and humility.

James Murphy, of the musical project LCD Soundsystem, said that Mr. Fuchs was one of the best drummers he had ever heard.

“He was one of the only people we all knew who was literally great at what he did,†Mr. Murphy said. “And he was incredibly generous with his talent.â€

On Sunday night, friends, many of them musicians with roots in Williamsburg, gathered in a Brooklyn apartment to exchange memories of Mr. Fuchs and honor his achievements.

“At the root of it,†said Scott DeSimon of Turing Machine during a telephone call from the gathering, “he was always that sweet 20-year-old who moved here frm Athens.â€

Michael S. Schmidt contributed reporting

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Right on homey. Boombox is my one big post merger regret. I loved that channel and can't believe they haven't brought it back--it was the best music channel.

Anyway, I read the NY Times article that Hectic was kind enough to post but it never says that he was in the band LCD Soundsystem--a member of LCD was quote but it never says he was in the band? So, was he or was he not the drummer.
This was the first article I had gotten:

Noted indie drummer dies in fall down elevator shaft
By Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly
November 10, 2009 10:31 a.m. EST

(Entertainment Weekly) -- Thirty-four-year-old Gerhardt "Jerry" Fuchs, a beloved fixture of both the New York and Athens, Georgia, rock scenes who played with LCD Soundsystem, !!! (pronounced Chk Chk Chk), Turing Machine, MSTRKRFT, and The Juan MacLean, died Saturday night in a fall after attempting to crawl out of a broken elevator shaft at a benefit party in Brooklyn.

Fuchs, who also freelanced at Entertainment Weekly, was a house drummer of sorts for progressive record label DFA, as well as a member of long-running Athens post-rock outfit Maserati.

On the Juan MacLean Web site, MacLean wrote: "Jerry was one of my best and most loyal friends. He was hands-down the best drummer I have ever played with or seen for that matter ... He was utterly sincere and fiercely loyal."

According to The New York Times, the accident occurred at about 12:30 a.m. on November 8, when Fuchs became stuck on a freight elevator between the fourth and fifth floors. When he attempted to jump out of the stalled car, his jacket got caught and threw him back towards the elevator shaft, while another unidentified man in the car with him leaped safely to a fourth-floor hallway.

At a gathering for Fuchs' friends on Sunday night, LCD frontman James Murphy called him "one of the only people we all knew who was literally great at what he did."

And longtime friend Jon Fine noted, "He could play metal, prog rock with multiple time signatures, aggressive indie disco. ... His passing puts an enormous hold on the Brooklyn music scene. The world of independent music has sustained a really significant loss."

And there was this too.

LCD Soundsystem, Holy Ghost, DFA pay tribute to !!! drummer Jerry Fuchs | News | NME.COM

The first article was a bit vague about his involvement w/ LCD.