Another iPhone question

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
So...if I get an iPhone (purchased 3rd-party without a new plan), will I just be able to take the SIM out of my BB and put it into the iPhone without an issue (I am already on AT&T). I am not sure if I need an 'iPhone plan' or if my current plan (unlimited data) will sufice.

Also, am I correct in that I will be able to get my work email (a MS exchange server) on my iPhone? Will it be real-time or will there be a long delay?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I really don't know the intricate details of how AT&T handles iPhones vs other phones and sim cards. I've heard folks say this will work and I also know folks that have iPhones that don't have an iPhone data plan, but a standard data plan. So, it should work, though I am not sure that visual voice mail and other iPhone features will work.

In regards to email if you know the setting you can indeed make use of MS Exchange server via your iPhone and if you run Push you'll get email, calendar and contacts pushed instantly.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I use Mailstreet Exchange and I receive email faster on my phone than on my PC. It's near instantaneous for me.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The .mac (or Mobile Me) service is $99 a year. It includes Push e-mail, contacts and calendar. Along with file storage and syncing through the iDisk service which just came out with a free iphone app. I used to think the $99 wasn't worth the service, but with everything added, and the fact that I sync often with Entourage, iCal and contacts, it's completely worth it now.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
There's nothing stopping you from swapping the SIM out. However, the iPhone's SIM card and slot is not all that "user friendly" to get at; and AT&T has this practice on their radar, and who knows how long it will be before they get around to closing that loophole.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The .mac (or Mobile Me) service is $99 a year. It includes Push e-mail, contacts and calendar. Along with file storage and syncing through the iDisk service which just came out with a free iphone app. I used to think the $99 wasn't worth the service, but with everything added, and the fact that I sync often with Entourage, iCal and contacts, it's completely worth it now.

Right now I am using Google Sync, which works very well, though no Push email. I do have a trial for MobileMe and downloaded the iDisk software for my iPhone. I'll tell you over all this package has become much more valuable. It is great having access to all my business documents, without having them on my iPhone, plus it gives me access no matter where I am rather on my phone or even a computer. Plus the ability to wipe your iPhone should you lose it or even use the locator to find it. I just found out it syncs with Entourage, because the Mail program on the Mac don't impress me. Though they claim in Snow Leopard it will be improved. I actually like Thunderbird by Mozilla, but of course you get no syncing or integration at all, it is just IMAP only. I currently use MS Live Sync for my documents, which works on the PC as well as the Mac, though no iPhone integration. I love that I can work on a document on my Mac and when I get to work that updated document will already been synced to my PC.

The Google sync for calendars and all that really works well though so I am still trying to decide rather to stick with it or totally switch to the mobile me thing.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I have my microsoft exchange email account on my iphone. It pushes to my phone instantly, just as fast as to my laptop.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I have my microsoft exchange email account on my iphone. It pushes to my phone instantly, just as fast as to my laptop.

How did you do this? I just got an iphone and have no idea how to get push to work.

Nevermind. I got it.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Google Sync now supports push email directly to the iPhone too. Now with a free google account one can get free calendar, contact and email all pushed to the iPhone or iPod Touch. I've been using this service for month now on the calendar and contacts, but they just got the email going now. It works GREAT!

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
How did you do this? I just got an iphone and have no idea how to get push to work.

Nevermind. I got it.

You have to subscribe to an Exchange Service like Mailstreet or Sherweb or 4smartphone. I recently switched over from Mailstreet to Sherweb. Sherweb is only $8.95/month with a 3GB limit.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Actually it comes with the iPhone. It is one of the options when setting up an email account.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually it comes with the iPhone. It is one of the options when setting up an email account.

Just get google sync, it is free and uses the Microsoft Exchange service via the iPhone. You don't have to pay anything and I'd put it up against Mailstreet, GoDaddy or any other Microsoft Exchange based service.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I have no need for it. the iPhone has a built-in Microsoft Exchange client. It syncs everything - email, contacts, and calendar.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have no need for it. the iPhone has a built-in Microsoft Exchange client. It syncs everything - email, contacts, and calendar.

Yes and that is exactly what Google Sync uses is the built in MS exchange client to gain access to the Google Calendar, Contacts and Email.

However, you will have to get service some where to make use of it, so unless where you work has it or you are willing to pay for it through a Exchange Hosting Service Provider, you can't make use of it. I use the Google Sync because it is FREE!

The build in client only gives you access, you still must have the service from a provider!

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
My company has an exchange server. I am using their exchanger server address to sync my stuff. Therefore it is free for me and makes Google Sync pointless.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My company has an exchange server. I am using their exchanger server address to sync my stuff. Therefore it is free for me and makes Google Sync pointless.

Gotcha, Yeah we don't do our own server at the office, I found it was cheaper to outsource, plus with my Nonprofit partnership agreement, we basically get the business level account setup with Google Apps and so for me Google Sync is a no brainer.

What I don't like and not that I need it at this point, but I wish that the iPhone allowed more than a single Microsoft Exchange account on the iPod Touch or iPhone.