Annoying Songs

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
From this weeks 80s countdown (1983) an entry in this topic. Pia Zadora— The Clapping Song.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Return with me now to those thrilling days of yesteryear -- specifically, 1950. There were several really annoying songs that year: Dearie, Rag Mop, Mule Train, Peter Cottontail, I Said My Pajamas & Put On My Prayers, I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts.....but the mostest annoyingest of all is The Aba Daba Honeymoon by Debbie Reynolds and Carlton Carpenter from the movie Two Weeks With Love. Released as a single, it reached #3 on Billboard's Best Sellers chart in March 1951. Four other versions also made the top 30. The Aba Daba Honeymoon was written by Arthur Fields and Walter Donovan. The first recording of the song, by Arthur Collins and Byron Harlan, went to number one in November 1914. Here are Reynolds and Carpenter -- and if you listen to this song, good luck getting "Aba daba daba daba daba daba dab, said the chimpie to the monk" out of your head!

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
No offense, but I think Aaron's point in starting this thread was to have us think of songs we might hear everyday, that we find annoying - but perhaps others don't (which is why they're heard everyday). There's an endless list of intentionally annoying songs, so that's not as interesting as the fact that you find mellow psych-rock annoying. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Wolf and Aaron

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mister scotch added his "2 cents" above -- and it's nice to know the value of his opinions haven't increased with inflation. If we're supposed to list songs which are annoying because they've been played so many thousands of times that we're sick of them, then I can list several that KRTH in Los Angeles played three to five times a day, every day, for several years. Some of them I never liked much to start with. I quit listening to KRTH many years ago.

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds
Hotel California - Eagles
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seger
Open Arms - Journey
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Reasons - Earth Wind & Fire
September - Earth Wind & Fire
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Why Can't We Be Friends - War

And I had forgotten about this annoying song until I heard it today on Slacker Radio's '70s channel. It reached #8 in March 1972:

Reactions: Aaron

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds
Hotel California - Eagles
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seger
Open Arms - Journey
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Reasons - Earth Wind & Fire
September - Earth Wind & Fire
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Why Can't We Be Friends - War
I know these songs are your opinion. But how in the hell you put Journey and the Eagles in the annoying songs thread?

Are you smoking something, every one of those songs is fantastic classics and I don't care if I hear them 10 times a day. I will always jam out to them!

I love "Don't You Forget About Me" that takes me back every time I watch The Breakfast Club.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
No offense, but I think Aaron's point in starting this thread was to have us think of songs we might hear everyday, that we find annoying - but perhaps others don't (which is why they're heard everyday). There's an endless list of intentionally annoying songs, so that's not as interesting as the fact that you find mellow psych-rock annoying. Just my 2 cents.
Correct, scotch and I might not agree of most bands. We all know DRC #1 annoying band is Nickelback which I love and probably Rick Rolls.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I find Journey annoying because of Steve Perry's whiny voice. When KRTH played mostly 1960s-70s, I described the format as "Songs we got sick of in high school." KRTH now plays mostly 1980s-90s and has been among the ten most-listened-to stations in Los Angeles for several years. Their active playlist -- songs played at least once per week -- is now a pathetic 330 songs, several of which air three to five times a day. That's how I got sick of the songs I cited. KRTH's ratings show that I'm in the minority. Their listeners like hearing the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and.......

K-EARTH 101

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
I got into the same argument months ago about Rush. I'm not a fan of them and I can't stand Geddy Lee annoying voice.

But Journey?

I'm quoting an old message from Hectic.

Music is like ice cream.
Everyone likes it, but there are a ton of different flavors because everyone doesn't like the same thing.
We all know Rainbow Sherbet and Nickelback is the two greatest things mixed together. :p

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I know these songs are your opinion. But how in the hell you put Journey and the Eagles in the annoying songs thread?

Are you smoking something, every one of those songs is fantastic classics and I don't care if I hear them 10 times a day. I will always jam out to them!

I love "Don't You Forget About Me" that takes me back every time I watch The Breakfast Club.
I agree with Channel98 on most of those songs.
They are annoying because they have been way overplayed, it's not necessarily because they are obnoxious like Kokomo or How You Remind Me.
After you hear a song 10,000 times, ya wanna hear something different.

I still like Billy Idol, and I don't really remember that Jungle Fever song, so it's kinda fun.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Usually because I found the song annoying, it is because it's overplayed. And that doesn't necessarily mean I dislike the artist. I could go the rest of my life never hearing 'Jack and Diane' by John Mellencamp, but play 'Paper and Fire', 'Authority Song' or 'Rain on the Scarecrow' or pretty much anything from the Scarecrow album and I'm right there.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Kokomo was written by Mike Love, Terry Melcher (record producer and son of Doris Day), John Phillips (of The Mamas & The Papas) and Scott McKenzie (best known for his 1967 hit San Francisco). At least 22 different artists and bands have recorded Kokomo, including Nona Reeves, Bertie Higgins, Kermit & Miss Piggy, Kidz Bop Kids, the Vandals and the Toucans Steel Drum Band.

For the amazement and amusement of everyone except Mister Hectic, here are the Beach Boys singing Kokomo en español:

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Kokomo was written by Mike Love, Terry Melcher (record producer and son of Doris Day), John Phillips (of The Mamas & The Papas) and Scott McKenzie (best known for his 1967 hit San Francisco). At least 22 different artists and bands have recorded Kokomo, including Nona Reeves, Bertie Higgins, Kermit & Miss Piggy, Kidz Bop Kids, the Vandals and the Toucans Steel Drum Band.

For the amazement and amusement of everyone except Mister Hectic, here are the Beach Boys singing Kokomo en español:

See? It's music, it's all subjective.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I kinda put some thought into songs I find annoying from artists I otherwise like.

Here goes:

Jack and Diane - Mellencamp
Give it away - RHCP
Rumor Has It - Adele
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Dreams - Van Hagar
Ain't My Bitch - Metallica
Creep - Radiohead (BY FAR their worst! Apparently the band doesn't even like it!)
I'm Goin' Down - Springsteen
Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I kinda put some thought into songs I find annoying from artists I otherwise like.

Here goes:

Jack and Diane - Mellencamp
Give it away - RHCP
Rumor Has It - Adele
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Dreams - Van Hagar
Ain't My Bitch - Metallica
Creep - Radiohead (BY FAR their worst! Apparently the band doesn't even like it!)
I'm Goin' Down - Springsteen
Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel
I'm with you on most of those.
Definitely not one of my favorites from Springsteen.