Android update

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Semi, what Android device you running? My GN3 came with 4.3, though there was a minor update to 4.3 that I got, not sure what that was about. Still learning this Android stuff.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Semi, what Android device you running? My GN3 came with 4.3, though there was a minor update to 4.3 that I got, not sure what that was about. Still learning this Android stuff.

I have a Galaxy S3 :)

It seems to be running good, except it keeps saying my moon landing pic is finished downloading :(

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Unfortunately with android, we're at the mercy of the phone companies to give us the updates for our phones. They load so much of their crap-ware, and they would rather make you buy a new phone than give you more than one (2 if you're lucky) updates.

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
Unfortunately with android, we're at the mercy of the phone companies to give us the updates for our phones. They load so much of their crap-ware, and they would rather make you buy a new phone than give you more than one (2 if you're lucky) updates.

That is why all Android users should buy Nexus phones. I have never had a non-Nexus Android device. Several phones have intrigued me but I can't get away from stock Android and support for several future major Android updates.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
That is why all Android users should buy Nexus phones. I have never had a non-Nexus Android device. Several phones have intrigued me but I can't get away from stock Android and support for several future major Android updates.

That's a good idea :)

I would really like an iPhone next time. I have 10 months to decide :hhh:

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Mines up in June. I was looking at the Sammy's, but the Max battery life us still way too killer.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
Mines up in June. I was looking at the Sammy's, but the Max battery life us still way too killer.

Sent from Tapatalk.

From what I hear Droids have a very minimal overlay from the manufacturer. My nephew's doesn't look very stock to me but I have never seen other manufacturer's software so I have nothing to compare it to other than stock Android. My nephew swears by the Droid Max phones.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
No updates for me. I had my phone rooted to get rid of all the AT&T bloatware so I am stuck here until I were to get a new phone.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If you rooted, can't you find the update yourself?

Getting rid of all of VZW's bloat is the only reason that I consider rooting. Finding the time to do it is about the only reason I haven't.

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
No updates for me. I had my phone rooted to get rid of all the AT&T bloatware so I am stuck here until I were to get a new phone.

I'm not sure what type of phone you have but you can probably get a clean AOSP build for your phone, with Android 4.4.2.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am still waiting on AT&T and Samsung to drop 4.4.2 which should happen sometimes this month according to rumors. I really just got my phone how I like it. I am using Nova launcher which is better than touchwiz I have also managed to turn off about 90% of the crap added by AT&T and Samsung.

Could not be happier at this point.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Nova Launcher does not require rooting. I really have no reason to root.

Sent from Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If it can help me clear some of the bloat, I don't have a reason to root either.
And I'm too lazy to bother rooting anyone.