And with the first pick in the 2009 nfl draft....the detroit lions choose....

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
I thought you were talking about ole Dubya, as by NFL rule the Lions have to select a wide receiver in the first round.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I think they would do a better job with this!
2890300_c34838ab51.jpg

That's right, an old shoe!!!
Lions suck!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
With Matthew Stafford making himself eligible for the draft today, I think the Lions would be crazy to not take him at number one. That is, if they decide to actually use the pick. My advice would still be to trade the pick; they need a lot of things, more holes than one player can fill. But then again, Detroit does have another first round pick at number 20, so maybe they should use their first selection.

But back to Stafford. I know a lot of the so-called "draft experts" out there have bumped him recently in favor of Sam Bradford as the number one QB prospect, but I have to disagree with them. I don't see Bradford projecting very well as a professional QB. I think he's the product of his environment at Oklahoma with all the talent he has to work with, not to mention the style of offense he is fortunate enough to run (spread QB's don't make good pros, Alex Smith immediately comes to mind). He wouldn't even have been starting at Oklahoma had Rhett Bomar not screwed up and got kicked off the team.

To me, Stafford has just what you want in a professional quarterback...a strong arm with nice touch, height (6-3), an understanding of the game, and you know what he's like taking the ball from under center (Bradford, you don't have such a good idea). Plus, Stafford is from Texas and that earns points with me.

Mr. Mayhew, if you truly want to turn things around in Detroit, take Matt Stafford. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing with your pick.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
and when the Detroit Lions draft him, he can live in his multi dollar home. :lolsign:

funkyshoe.jpg

TSSJimmyCoN

Oct 13, 2008
Chitown
www.tss-radio.com
It's basically between the Lions taking stafford or an O-Lineman such as Oher or Andre Smith. I wouldn't count them out of taking a WR this year though. Why the hell not? JK

but seriously what is going to best for the Lions when it comes down to the economics of William Clay Ford? Who puts bodies in Ford Field seats? Who sells jerseys? An O-Lineman? don't think so. I think Stafford will be a stud in this league. He's built like a brick shit house and his accuracy is ridiculous. This isn't another Joey Harrington, this could be a legit franchise qb who doesn't play the piano better than postgame speeches.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
It's basically between the Lions taking stafford or an O-Lineman such as Oher or Andre Smith. I wouldn't count them out of taking a WR this year though. Why the hell not? JK

but seriously what is going to best for the Lions when it comes down to the economics of William Clay Ford? Who puts bodies in Ford Field seats? Who sells jerseys? An O-Lineman? don't think so. I think Stafford will be a stud in this league. He's built like a brick shit house and his accuracy is ridiculous. This isn't another Joey Harrington, this could be a legit franchise qb who doesn't play the piano better than postgame speeches.

Winning puts more warm bodies in the seats than an exciting draft pick does. Stafford could be a big bust for all we know. Look at all the first round QB's that were a bust. They can take him if they please, but they really need to build a team. Even if Stafford is a stud in the NFL, having a shitty team around him will make him look shitty too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Sam Bradford may have hurt his draft position a little with tonight's performance. We'll see what he decides on coming out early or not. Regardless...Matthew Stafford is the pick, I'm telling you.

TSSJimmyCoN

Oct 13, 2008
Chitown
www.tss-radio.com
Blyons...

you and I know that we both would probably be able to run this organization and turn it into a winner much better than the M and M guys however my point is this. You get a guy like Stafford or any high round qb/rb or guy that will get a bunch touches a game and THAT will immediately fill seats. I know a winning organization is going to change the face of the franchise but think about it. The Ms are thinking "We should sign Michael Vick right now to get people to come watch the games". They need the support back in the stadium first before we start winning. cuz it's gonna be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time