And the revolution COULD end with a vacation!!!

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
How amazingly Ironic would that be!!!hahahaha

ps. I love the show and sirius, but man what an exciting week this is going to be!

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
huh.jpg

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
And that's gonna make the sats go dark? Are they sending a repo man to retrieve them...:rolleyes:

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
No - it's going to make howards contract go "bye" and ultimately could be the end of him on the radio!

It would just be too funny if he was on vacation when it happened.

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
No - it's going to make howards contract go "bye" and ultimately could be the end of him on the radio!

I'm sure the whole company will be changed in one day.....:rofl:

You sound like you get your corporate takeover info from the same source as Robin - Pretty Woman.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
As I said in another thread, if sat radio is going to survive, then Howard will survive. Sure Howard is expensive, but he's probably the one guy in all sat radio who actually earns his salary (well, besides Reilly ;)). Shit, did Beck's buy Anheiser-Busch and then immediately discontinue Bud Light because it is too expensive to produce?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Howard was on vacation when his last contract ended (12-31-05), as well as the before that (12-31-00) and if this one goes it's full length, it'll end on 12-31-10. So for him to be on vacation when a contract ends isn't exactly breaking news.

I still think it would be foolish for a satellite radio company to be around without Howard. If he is forced to walk, millions of people will cancel.

The best way to cut costs is to cut Oprah and Martha. I doubt millions of people will cancel when their contracts end, either naturally or by force.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
As I said in another thread, if sat radio is going to survive, then Howard will survive. Sure Howard is expensive, but he's probably the one guy in all sat radio who actually earns his salary (well, besides Reilly ;)). Shit, did Beck's buy Anheiser-Busch and then immediately discontinue Bud Light because it is too expensive to produce?

Exactly. Howard makes 100 million a year. Sirius XM has approx 20 million subscribers.

12.95 a month for one radio times 12 months per year = $155.40 a year paid IF month-to-month.
155.40 a year times 20 million subscribers = $3,108,000,000 a year.
3,108,000,000 * 5 years = $15,540,000,000

It would be downright foolish for Howard's contract to be terminated. Maybe try to negotiate a lower pay, but they need the subscribers that came for Howard.

I know only a small portion of the 20 million came for Howard, but the above example should only illustrate how valuable he, and his subscribers are to the company. He was a very valuable asset at CBS, and he continues to be a very valuable asset for Sirius XM.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Exactly. Howard makes 100 million a year. Sirius XM has approx 20 million subscribers.

Even better, Howard costs approximately 100 million per year for 5 years. That's the entire Howard 100/101 enterprise, including the initial cost of building his studio, his production costs, his staff on both channels, and the various and sundry other expenses including Howard's salary and stock options. The "100 million per year" was always a bullshit headline grabbing number that had nothing to do with how much Howard is paid.

Stern's $500 Million Satellite Deal - October 6, 2004

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Even better, Howard costs approximately 100 million per year for 5 years. That's the entire Howard 100/101 enterprise, including the initial cost of building his studio, his production costs, his staff on both channels, and the various and sundry other expenses including Howard's salary and stock options. The "100 million per year" was always a bullshit headline grabbing number that had nothing to do with how much Howard is paid.

Stern's $500 Million Satellite Deal - October 6, 2004

Exactly. That's kind of what I meant. He's PAID at least $100 million a year (plus probably some bonuses and other incentives), but he has to pay his staff and other show costs out of his own pocket.

Throw in any child support he may have to pay, and he takes home a LOT less than $100 million a year.