"..And that's the way it is.." Walter Cronkite dead at 92.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

Walter Cronkite, an iconic CBS News journalist who defined the role of anchorman for a generation of television viewers, died Friday at the age of 92, his family said.

Reactions: Casual Fan

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I knew it was only a matter of time since he was hospitalized. We lost a legend today.

Rest In Peace, Walt.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
A little piece of my childhood is gone. Nobody else has come close to this guy since he retired. Rest in peace, Walter.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
He lived a long and fruitful life :)

God Bless and comfort his family and friends :candle:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8Q3cqGs7I]YouTube - Walter Cronkite announces death of JFK[/ame]

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
I've seen the video a few times, and my review is simple:

In 1963, TV was still in its infancy. It was still in black and white and it was compared to public access cable TV standard-wise. Seeing CBS switch back and forth to Dallas was laughable, especially since the vertical hold kept fudging up.

However, the great reporting from Walter Cronkite made up for TV's technical shortcomings. Seeing him yank off his glasses showed his emotion and his near-breakdown towards the end of the clip only made JFK's passing more-emotional.

I remember in high school watching a JFK documentary, and Walt responded to the footage with the statement "a newsman never cries".

Over the years, while the technical side of broadcasting improved, the quality of the news itself did the opposite. Now, we're stuck with corporate morons running the networks with talking heads blanding up the newscasts with fluff. However, while the modern-day newsmen kiss the corporate ass, Walter was for America and its people. His opinions helped shape this nation for the better, and not corporate greed.

Walter wasn't a liberal, nor a conservative, and he wasn't necessarily a Democrat nor Republican, either. He was an American.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Cronkite's 'That's the way it is' almost wasn't

"The first night up, he ended the show by saying, I'm paraphrasing, 'That's the news. Be sure to check your local newspapers tomorrow to get all the details on the headlines we are delivering to you.'"

That didn't fly.

"The suits -- as we used to call them -- went crazy," Socolow told CNN, referring to CBS executives. "From their perspective, Cronkite was sending people to read newspapers instead of watching the news. There was a storm."

CBS News President Richard Salant met with Cronkite, who initially resisted, then agreed to change his sign-off, Socolow said.

"In the absence of anything else, he came up with 'That's the way it is.'"
But that too ruffled feathers, Socolow said.

"Salant's attitude was, 'We're not telling them that's the way it is. We can't do that in 15 minutes,' which was the length of the show in those days. 'That's not the way it is.'"

Still, Cronkite persisted and that's the way it was from then on.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
When news of Walter Cronkite's death came out, I realized that I had in my record collection a two-sided 7-inch 33 RPM record that he did with CBS News called "Man on the Moon". Like I did to "Deteriorata" (see the "Vinyl Restoration" thread), I gave this scratched-up beauty the DePopper treatment and even though there's still a lot of blemishes and two minor skips, this might be the best-known clip of this historical recording out there.

http://chuck69.com/user/walter cronkite - man on the moon.mp3

deedee

Oct 16, 2008
New York, New York
Well you could go through the a whole dictionary and never really come up with the right words to describe a "Gentleman" like Mr. Walter Cronkite

What I remember of Mr. Cronkite it that he was the beginning and the end of any great news story. Others may have covered it but never came close to his flair of projecting the News

There will be people ( already have ) who will write about him - but there is really only one person who could do Mr. Cronkite's life justice and that of cause would be

Mr. Cronkite himself

Thank You Mr. Cronkite where ever you are for bringing to us your words so beautifully spoken, we cried when you cried and we laughed when you laughed.

If you don't mind I would love to quote you with just a little twist

And that's the way it was - because of you Mr. Walter Cronkite"

Thank You........ :candle:

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I've seen the video a few times, and my review is simple:

In 1963, TV was still in its infancy. It was still in black and white and it was compared to public access cable TV standard-wise. Seeing CBS switch back and forth to Dallas was laughable, especially since the vertical hold kept fudging up.

However, the great reporting from Walter Cronkite made up for TV's technical shortcomings. Seeing him yank off his glasses showed his emotion and his near-breakdown towards the end of the clip only made JFK's passing more-emotional.

I remember in high school watching a JFK documentary, and Walt responded to the footage with the statement "a newsman never cries".

Over the years, while the technical side of broadcasting improved, the quality of the news itself did the opposite. Now, we're stuck with corporate morons running the networks with talking heads blanding up the newscasts with fluff. However, while the modern-day newsmen kiss the corporate ass, Walter was for America and its people. His opinions helped shape this nation for the better, and not corporate greed.

Walter wasn't a liberal, nor a conservative, and he wasn't necessarily a Democrat nor Republican, either. He was an American.

You nailed it. What a brilliant post!!!

Truly brilliant.

:clap: