AMP Energy 500 Thoughts/Predictions

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Don't forget to change the clocks this weekend for that extra hours sleep!

Who's going to win this one?

Television Race Coverage: Sunday, Nov. 1st, ABC, 1:00pm/et

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 1:19pm/et

Scheduled Race Re-Air Dates/Times:
Monday, November 2 at 3:00am/et on ESPN2
Monday, November 2 at 1:00pm/et on ESPN Classic
Wednesday, November 4 at 12:00pm/et on SPEED

Weather Link..... Talladega, AL - 5 Day Weather Forecast

Defending race winner: #20-Tony Stewart

===========================

Random Talladega Stats.....

Track Race Record: Mark Martin, May 1997, 188.354mph

Worst Starting Spot to Win: Jeff Gordon, April 2000, started 36th

Most Wins: 10 - Dale Earnhardt

Most Wins - Active Driver: 6 - Jeff Gordon

Most Lead Changes: 74 - 5/6/1984

Fewest Laps Led by a Race Winner: Jeff Gordon, 10/7/2007 and Brad Keselowski, 4/26/2009, 1 lap led

Fewest on the Lead Lap: 1 - two times, most recent 7/27/1986 - Ahhh, The Good Old Days!

Will the double-yellow line be a story after this race?

Who is going to be given the 'big plate' this race?

How many posts will there be after the race on how the track needs to be changed?

How many complaints about Phantom Debris Cautions?

My pick - Jeff Gordon

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Edwards hopes to meet with injured fan - #99-Carl Edwards is looking forward to one aspect of returning to Talladega Superspeedway one week from this Sunday. He hopes to be able to meet in person with Blake Bobbitt, the young woman whose jaw was broken when a piece of Edwards' #99 Ford flew into the frontstretch grandstands as the Aaron's 499 Sprint Cup race reached its wild and controversial conclusion this past April. "We text back and forth," Edwards said. "And I think she's going to come down and say hey at Talladega, so that's cool."

Full story here..... Edwards reaches out to fan injured by Talladega crash

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I wish the race was on Saturday.

Jimmie's gonna be fine...he'll still have the points lead after the race. (I'm calling it his now)

I really would like to see Jr. win this one. It would make for a great weekend.

I can't watch the race but I can't wait to see the pics of Bagman. I hope video is put on some websites.

I expect a crash on the last lap, heading to the flag. I don't think any driver will go below the yellow line now. I really think they need to move the finish line.

Edit: I think a car or two will have the new ford engine. I hope ford gets back in the winning circle next year.

Last edited:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Anyone catch any of the ABC/ESPN promos for the race this weekend? Just curious as I haven't heard any complaints about using crashes to promote their coverage. The promo that I kept seeing over and over again during Saturday's football coverage featured many dramatic wrecks. :pokey:

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Don't forget to change the clocks this weekend for that extra hours sleep!

Who's going to win this one?

Television Race Coverage: Sunday, Nov. 1st, ABC, 1:00pm/et

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 1:19pm/et

Scheduled Race Re-Air Dates/Times:
Monday, November 2 at 3:00am/et on ESPN2
Monday, November 2 at 1:00pm/et on ESPN Classic
Wednesday, November 4 at 12:00pm/et on SPEED

Weather Link..... Talladega, AL - 5 Day Weather Forecast

Defending race winner: #01 - Regan Smith

Random Talladega Stats.....

Track Race Record: Mark Martin, May 1997, 188.354mph

Worst Starting Spot to Win: Jeff Gordon, April 2000, started 36th

Most Wins: 10 - Dale Earnhardt

Most Wins - Active Driver: 6 - Jeff Gordon

Most Lead Changes: 74 - 5/6/1984

Fewest Laps Led by a Race Winner: Jeff Gordon, 10/7/2007 and Brad Keselowski, 4/26/2009, 1 lap led

Fewest on the Lead Lap: 1 - two times, most recent 7/27/1986 - Ahhh, The Good Old Days!

Will the double-yellow line be a story after this race?

Who is going to be given the 'big plate' this race?

How many posts will there be after the race on how the track needs to be changed?

How many complaints about Phantom Debris Cautions?

My pick - Jeff Gordon

don't get mad but I corrected the defending race winner

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I bet you could be at the race Sunday and find stuff that could be called "debris" but it won't bring out the caution. IMO, nascar will want to keep the train rollin'. Especially on the last few laps.

10 to go? I bet you could throw a man in a pumpkin suit on the track and that caution will NOT come out.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
No, that's a pic I got from doing a google search. :cool: (it's not me either! LOL)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Anyone want to bet Sadlers takes a header in a Ford this weekend? :scratch:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpeahgdzYp4]YouTube - Foreigner - Feels Like The First Time (live)[/ame]

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I don't know about Sadler but I'm wondering how this new, Ford, engine runs this weekend. :flex:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Ya'll ever see old live clips from the '70's of Foreigner? Man that singer would do his best to be JUST LIKE Robert Plant. Funny stuff. Anywho, I wish I had a Les Paul like the one in that video.

I don't know about Sadler but I'm wondering how this new, Ford, engine runs this weekend.

Well, they better be careful that they don't do TOO well, otherwise nascar will take it to the dyno and reveal everything to the rest of the teams. And/or they'll make them run a plate or do something to cut back on the HP in the spirit of "fair competition". :rolleyes:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Well, they better be careful that they don't do TOO well, otherwise nascar will take it to the dyno and reveal everything to the rest of the teams. And/or they'll make them run a plate or do something to cut back on the HP in the spirit of "fair competition". :rolleyes:

There's always the random car that goes back to the R&D Center. What do you think the odds are that one of those Fords sporting the new power plant is heading there after the race this weekend? :rolleyes:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think any pick is up in the air when it comes this track..

Yep. They could just draw straws. It doesn't matter where you start either. Why do they even bother with qualifying here? It just takes up time.