? Am I SOL: Trying to get US subscription from Canada

Confused

Dec 9, 2009
I purchased last week a Sirius radio that required a subscription. I had difficulty using my Canadian based US credit card. I have a US address on my card as a supp address. I wasnt able to complete the transaction even though I provide the same US address. Finally, I had to use Canadian billing address and the charge went through.

During the process, the info for the sub was messed up. However, no SUB charges were billed onto my credit card.

Now, I picked up the radio but I am worried about not being able to use my credit card to pay for the subscription. What happens now? Do I have to return the radio and pay shipping and/or a restocking fee? Are there workarounds to get the subscription? The address I gave is a valid one so that shouldnt be an issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

Thx

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Call them and try to activate the radio.

Give them US address. Tell them you are a dual citizen currently living at that US address. Might work, might not.

If not, get a canadian sub, or return the radio, or pay a US friend $$ to activate on his/her credit card.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I have another idea... buy yourself a Sirius gift card and use that to activate the radio.

Anyone know if you still have to provide a credit card even if you are paying for the full sub with gift cards?

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Not sure about needing a credit card (maybe they still need it for automatic renewal). I guess he has to call and find out.

If you're able to use gift cards to pay your sub, make sure you buy from the US (don't buy your cards from Canada). I'm sure there's something in the codes that say what region the card belongs to.

Also, you should spoof your number when you call SIRIUS, or have someone from the US call for you and set it up with your details (PM if you need help). You'll receive a log-in and password where you can manage everything.

Why do you need a US sub? I thought the issues with channels on the Canadian subs were taken care of after the channel switch. :scratch:

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Why do you need a US sub? I thought the issues with channels on the Canadian subs were taken care of after the channel switch. :scratch:

I can answer for him. :p With a Canadian sub, I am getting fewer channels (sat and online) and I can't get BestOf (e.g. no Hockey for a Sirius sub, no Howard for a XM sub).

Reactions: hexagram

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I can answer for him. :p With a Canadian sub, I am getting fewer channels (sat and online) and I can't get BestOf (e.g. no Hockey for a Sirius sub, no Howard for a XM sub).

Right. The merger only affects the US operations. If you have a Canadian radio, it's still two seperate companies.

Reactions: hexagram

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Right. The merger only affects the US operations. If you have a Canadian radio, it's still two seperate companies.

1241214912-the_more_you_know2.jpg

Nov 19, 2009
Ky

Is it if you have a Canadian radio or an cadadian sub, are the radios different that you would buy in Canadian.

I ask because i was looking at a used XMP3 from Canada

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Is it if you have a Canadian radio or an cadadian sub, are the radios different that you would buy in Canadian.

I ask because i was looking at a used XMP3 from Canada

I'd imagine it's tied into the serial number somehow. OTOH, they may just give you whatever channels based on your credit card. Tom Taylor would know more.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I'd imagine it's tied into the serial number somehow. OTOH, they may just give you whatever channels based on your credit card. Tom Taylor would know more.
Like ClubSteeler buy a gift card and use the US address. I seriously doubt is the radio ID has anything to do with it.

wobbler

Dec 5, 2008
is this something new? I know that one of my subs just recently got renewed and it showed up on my cc and its a CDN one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Both Sirius-USA and XM-USA bill my Canadian US$ credit card monthly or tri-monthly (monthly for Sirius internet) without issue. They took my card first try too. Some have had issues on signup. Get a gift card and once you have your sub, add the CC info for your Canadian credit card and it will be fine. The only check they do is on initial sign up and it sometimes doesn't reject the Canadian CC.

wobbler

Dec 5, 2008
thanks - got it straightened out with this. Bought wife a replacement sportster5 for her sirius one - just called Sirius up and told them that I was doing a swap and with 10 mins got it swapped and working.

FYI took a cdn sportster5 and added to my US sub account without any issues - boo yah!!

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.