Alternator Noise In Stratus Radio. The Noise Seems To Be Related To The Aux. Power Source.

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
2005 boxster. when the aux. power is connected to the console input the noise is louder than when connected to the foot well input. do I need a ground loop isolator for the power source /or a ground loop isolator for the audio cable from the becker radio to the aux input for siri.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Welcome to the DRC Other Bob. Have you tried the same rig in another car to eliminate the radio and cables?

Sent from Tapatalk

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
yes...I have the luxury of having all the parts in duplicate. I swapped out everything. dock, radio, cables, aux power plug, ant.. the noise was reduced by removing a particular dock base and reduced further by moving the power from the arm rest console to the foot well power source. I don't know electronics but it is likely a shielding problem, a strong guess also would be that the Porsche red with black stripe "hot" wire to the aux power plug is very thin, maybe 18 gauge or smaller.... thanks ...bob

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sounds like you gave it a solid run-down. Try giving TSS Radio in Chicago a call. They know this stuff inside and out & won't try to sell you a bunch of junk you don't need. Let us know how it goes.

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
tss were unsure as to the problem. they said an rca filter might work but they have nothing in stock or a part # to look for... thanks... bob

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
thanks .....I have had the problem for a long time and have tried all ways to "fix" it with out total success.... thank you and merry Christmas....happy hollidays.....bob

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
I did something different... i sent the stock Becker radio back to the factory and they soldered in a auxiliary plug...so I am getting the audio direct to the siri unit. I don't think there are many others out there that have taken this rout. I don't believe this caused the noise because my Subaru is hooked up the same way and it also has a very faint alternator wine.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I did something different... i sent the stock Becker radio back to the factory and they soldered in a auxiliary plug...so I am getting the audio direct to the siri unit. I don't think there are many others out there that have taken this rout. I don't believe this caused the noise because my Subaru is hooked up the same way and it also has a very faint alternator wine.

Huh. I have a Subi, but my Sirius unit wasn't hardwired...just run off the cig lighter and into the aux on the head unit. No whine. Not a very clean install, however, but I roll like that.

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
Yes... the Subaru comes with an available aux already in the car.... what I meant is that my Porsche had to have the aux added so that it is "installed" the same way. The easiest way to hear the interfering noise is when the motor is running and in-between channel changes. when motor is off there is relative silence between channel changes. rating the "noise" in the Subaru lets say 2 out of 10... ten being loudest.... Porsche can be as high as a 6. I don't know why but some times the alternator noise is low like the Subaru....

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
interesting results of a test.... with every thing turned on ,becker radio siri system on ...I tuned off the siri radio itself. the alternator noise was present... I then disconnected the aux line running to the becker radio and the noise went away. the becker radio reverted to play fm flawlessly.

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
the test would suggest that the problem exist from the aux plug, through the aux cable and to the becker radio unit. I have the power cable strung along the opposite side of the console tunnel.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Still, you should try a better aux cable that's shielded. I know from playing guitar that you can pick up interference from several feet away.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It would be worth plugging in an MP3 player as an alternative sound source just to fully eliminate one more piece of the chain.

Bob, if you plug your phone in to the cars power, or anything else for that matter, do you still get the noise? Can you separate the power feeds from the source and the stereo?

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
unfortunately/fortunately ...do not have mp3 or phone that would hook up to power source.... I will pull the head unit out and examine the cable that Becker installed. they provided the audio cable from the Becker cdr 24 unit and the plug for the 1/8 " auxiliary cable that siri provides to the siri unit. this could very well be a shielding problem as winter solstice feast suggest.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Can you run mp3s off of you phone (or something) on battery power into the aux input that you're running your sat? Sorry I don't know much about the hardware that you're using. I'm just spitballing ways to try to isolate the noise.

Sent from Tapatalk

the other bob

Dec 23, 2014
thanks hecticart... I will take down the Becker cdr 24 this weekend and check for the best shielded audio cable. also the plug itself, Becker said it was not shielded.... I will see what I can do about this....maybe fry's electronics has some parts.... enjoy.....