Allmendinger is charged with DWI

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
MOORESVILLE, N.C For the second time in a week a NASCAR driver is in trouble with the law. A.J. Allmendinger, driver of the No. 44 car, was arrested for drunk driving, Mooresville police say.

Allmendinger was pulled over around 1:30 a.m. Thursday along Highway 150.

According to police, Allmendinger blew a .08, which is the legal limit in North Carolina.

Last week Mooresville police say alcohol was a factor in an accident involving NASCAR driver and team owner Michael Waltrip. Officers investigating the accident suspected Waltrip was drinking, but when he was given a field sobriety test, he registered a .06. In North Carolina the legal limit is .08

Allmendinger is charged with DWI | www.thatsracin.com

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
If the legal limit is .08 and thats what he blew, how can you be charged with DWI, its like being given a ticket for doing the speed limit. Not condoning drinking and driving or anything here but I think this one gets reduced to wreckless op somehow.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
UPDATE: The Richard Petty Motorsports driver, according to the police report, was driving a 2007 Lexus when he was pulled over at 1:27 a.m. He was released to others at the owner's request. Police said he blew a .08 on a breathalyzer test. He has a court date for Dec. 18. "I made an error in judgment last night for which I take full responsibility," Allmendinger said in a statement released by RPM. "I went out to dinner and I had a couple of drinks. I honestly felt fine but I obviously should have erred more on the side of caution particularly given what I do for a living. It was a bad judgment call and I apologize for that ... To my fans, sponsors, team and NASCAR. If anything good can come of this then hopefully I can be an example of being more aware of drinking responsibly and if even if you feel fine, take a cab, call a friend ... just don't risk it. I will do my best to make it right and use this to learn myself and hopefully educate others." RPM officials said Allmendinger will be in the car this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
If the legal limit is .08 and thats what he blew, how can you be charged with DWI, its like being given a ticket for doing the speed limit. Not condoning drinking and driving or anything here but I think this one gets reduced to wreckless op somehow.

Found this..... In North Carolina it is illegal to drive with a BAC of 0.08% or higher. On October 1, 1993 the legal BAC limit was reduced from 0.10%. All States have now lowered the legal limit to 0.08%.

From..... HSRC : Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC)

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Awww that is really too bad.. I have always liked and rooted for AJ.. And I still will, everyone makes mistakes in their lives and I believe he is sorry for doing it... I am not condoning what he did but it isn't going to make me hate the guy.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
At least he didn't run from the cops & try & hide behind the bed :shock:

He better watch it or they're going to deport him :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: antsie

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Hahaha that reminds me of the police chase UFC fighter Rampage got into and he was driving his truck that had his face plastered all over the side of it.... LMAO... There was defiantly no mistaking for the police who they were chasing that night..LOL

Les2

Oct 26, 2008
With as small as AJ is, what did he do, sniff the wine bottle and he's over the limit?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
AJ Allmendinger, driver for the #44 team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, has been placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2009. Allmendinger has violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I also find it kind of funny that many callers on today's show and posts I read on other boards are ready to throw the book at Allmendinger yet so many callers jumped in to defend Mayfield in the past. :idunno:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I agree with CBL on if I were a driver, I would never drive a street car, I would have someone drive me around.

She said the samething back in 2004 when Scott Wimmer was busted for DUI (send the car around :))

The whole penelty thing is new tho. People back in '04 would call in & ask, "Don't you need a drivers licence to race in Nascar?" :shock:

I'm sure AJ & his sponsors will get over this. He might find it harder to get into Canada now :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
many callers on today's show and posts I read on other boards are ready to throw the book at Allmendinger

Yeah, I don't quite get that. If it's a first incident then my opinion is that he made a mistake. I don't recall him having trouble before.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I agree with CBL on if I were a driver, I would never drive a street car, I would have someone drive me around.

Yep. If I'm a public figure like that I'd spend the money for a driver.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Allmendinger given breathalyzer before practice

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- AJ Allmendinger, who was charged with driving under the influence on Thursday, was administered a breathalyzer prior to Friday's first Sprint Cup practice at Talladega Superspeedway.

"It's a part of it,'' Allmendinger said after the second practice. "I know what I've done. I respect the punishment and everything that I have to do to gain the trust back of NASCAR and everybody that is out there racing with me.

"It's not the best feeling in the world, but at the same point I respect I have to do it. I understand and I no problem with that.''

Allmendinger has been placed on probation by NASCAR through the end of the season and, according to sources close to the situation, will be monitored closely by the governing body during that time.

Allmendinger also has been placed on probation by Richard Petty Motorsports and fined $10,000 to be donated to charity.

The 27-year-old driver was charged by Mooresville police after being pulled over at 1:27 a.m. in North Carolina. He was released after registering .08 on the Intoxilyzer and has a court date for December 18.

"Honest truth, I had a couple of drinks at dinner and a couple that night,'' Allmendinger said. "I honestly thought I was fine. I had been drinking water for an hour and a half at that point and figured I was OK to drive home. I unfortunately got pulled over and it went from there.

"It was my fault. It was a bad decision. I wish I could take it back. I'd do anything to take it back. All I can do is go out there and learn from it and be a lot better person from it, which I will be. And hopefully educate other people you don't have to be having a ton of drinks to be filling like you're drunk. It only takes a little bit to be over the limit.''

Allmendinger drives the No. 44 for RPM, but is scheduled to move into the No. 43 made famous by co-owner Richard Petty in 2010 with Best Buy as his primary sponsor.

Petty has a long-standing tradition of not using alcohol sponsors on his cars, although an exception was made for Kasey Kahne and the No. 9 Budweiser Dodge because the deal was in place when Petty Enterprises merged with Gillett Evernham Motorsports.

Petty was not available for comment and team officials declined to speculate on how the DUI charge might impact that.

Allmendinger said he hopes the incident will not impact his future.

"It's not the first I've ever made. It's the biggest mistake I've made to this magnitude. A lot of people make mistakes and get a second opportunity.''