Air Travel. How Do You Cope?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I cant sleep when flying, even on overnight flights. So I usually stick with over the ear headphones and tunes. Flying with the Slacker was really nice, but I still went back to my ipod for certain artists and playlists and my pda for work and games.

No mater how much I bring for entertainment tho, Im still ready to shoot myself a few hours into a long flight.

Sleep? Music? Talk? Read? Movie? Games? Work? Drink?

What's your way of dealing with those long and crowded flights?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A good book is all I need. Here's what I read on my last trip:

9780140067682.jpg

Getting a couple of hours to do nothing but read is a treat.

PACanesFan

Oct 13, 2008
Lots of Xanax. If that isn't available, in flight liquor does the trick. Along with putting a death grip on the seat in front of me.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'll bring a couple of magazines, my SL2 for music, and a portable hard drive with a bunch of movies.

I can usually sleep for a little while, but not for the whole trip.

Oh, and sometimes I like to light matches that I wedge into the soles of my shoes. But that's about it.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Depends on the flight, time of day, etc. Generally for domestic flights, I read a little, listen to music, maybe watch an episode or 2 of something on the iPod. Whip out the Nintendo DS for some Super Mario Bros. or something :) *Maybe* grab a nap if it's a long flight - and usually I can get a few hours if it's an overnight flight.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
magazines, ipod movies, and hours of Howard Stern on the ipod. If your flight has good In Flight Entertainment that is a good way to pass the time (I used to work in that industry so I used to have a good time fleshing out the competitor's products :)).

Long flights are the worst. I remember flying back from Singapore when I looked at my watch and saw that we were already 5 hours in. Then I realized that in 8 hours, we'd STILL have like 4 hours to go! That was depressing. Although things are pretty sweet when you are able to land some business class tickets on those long haul flights...

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I can NEVER sleep on flights. I've never done it.

Maybe Ambien? I've tried drinking ($$$), never worked for me.

How long is your flight? And do you need to sleep?

I cant sleep when flying, even on overnight flights. So I usually stick with over the ear headphones and tunes. Flying with the Slacker was really nice, but I still went back to my ipod for certain artists and playlists and my pda for work and games.

No mater how much I bring for entertainment tho, Im still ready to shoot myself a few hours into a long flight.

Sleep? Music? Talk? Read? Movie? Games? Work? Drink?

What's your way of dealing with those long and crowded flights?

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I've tried to sleep on flights, but fat & 90-year olds keep grabbing my seat and bumping into me :bigahh:

I usually listen to the iPod... I also read the safety brochure, just in case :titanic:

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Lots of Xanax. If that isn't available, in flight liquor does the trick. Along with putting a death grip on the seat in front of me.

:bigthumbup:

I hate flying,scares the crap out of me, I about have to drink.Unfortuneately I fly about once every week or two for work. Longest flight I've ever been on was 9.5 hours from Atlanta to Hawaii, nonstop. It was pure torture. I will never go to Asia, but probably could tolerate a flight to Europe (from New York). Besides drinking I listen to my iPod and play football on my PSP. I do gotta say though, at about the three hour mark on long flights I am more irritated and uncomfortable than scared. Unless it gets real bumpy!:eek:

Sorry I can't help, long flights, and flying in general, just sucks. If I didn't have to fly for work, I wouldn't. I'd rather drive and see the coutryside anyway.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I take my GPS on the flight & watch where we're at during the flight :)

My GPS says I have a top speed of 604mph :D
Posted via Mobile Device

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
You could bring one of these with you!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4qtMaZu1M]YouTube - Harold and kumar terrorists[/ame]

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I am traveling next week. Ugh. I'm not a big fan of air travel anymore.

I put the death grip on my seat belt, stare out the window so I can see the ground, and bury myself in my iPod.

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
I have to sit by the window with the shade up (I know people hate me doing that but I have to look out, it makes me feel better) and I try and fly Frontier as much as I can so that I can have my own personal TV to watch and that keeps my mind off of being worried about flying. I put my ear buds in and glance from the window to the TV.

I have been known to grab the person next to me when the plane bounces around, but I've been lucky, they have always been very understanding men LOL :)

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I take my GPS on the flight & watch where we're at during the flight :)

My GPS says I have a top speed of 604mph :D
Posted via Mobile Device

I got yelled at by the gayest flight attendant ever for using my Garmin eTrex on a flight....

The last time I (tried) to use one was my Mio vehicle GPS. It didn't work for the whole trip so I have to assume they had a jammer of some sort.

For me, to pass the time, I just look out the window actually. Music helps, but I get distracted easily.

I flew from Hotlanta to Phoenix on a late night flight and NOTHING would help me relax... just had to sit a bare it. :twitch: