Advertisements On The Show

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
do show ads or plugs from guests ever work on you?

when i lived in philly steven singer jewelers advertised all over the place but because of stern i payed more attention to it. just yesterday i decided that id check out americas next weather man reality show after i saw it was on and remembered jillian plugging it 2 weeks ago. i like reality competitions but man that show sucks. however, i doubt i would have ever given it a chance if i didnt hear about it on the show.

those are the only 2 examples i can remember when ads/plugs on the show worked on me. usually i either already know and like whatever show/movie the celebs are into promote or when i hear about it i just dont care.

am i similar to any of u?

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
not really. but what I really don't like, is even tho I download and listen to the show commercial free for years now, the breaks are getting longer and longer. even without the commercials, I had to FF 10 minutes of bumpers, bits, songs and song parodies before howard was back on. which means, if you were to add in the commercials, you'd really be getting like 20 minute breaks, which is comparable to his terrestrial days.

I don't even hear the live reads in the news, cuz they are edited out as well thankfully.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I was just thinking that Howard's live plugs during the news are re-god-damn-diculous. They're getting longer, more frequent, and unavoidable. I listen to the internet stream, so if it's a 10 minute break, I can skip it, but when he's doing the show and just launches right into untuckit shirts or tommy john underwear, he'll do 2 minutes before getting back to news.

Generally (and I'm not trying to be a snob), I'm not the target audience for any of the stuff he promotes. And he rarely has a musical guest that's "new" to me, where I'd say, "gee, I should check them out". So really, it's the occasional TV or movie personality that I may listen to, and that'll get me to check them out, but rarely.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I record the show everyday for 10 years now and the breaks are not longer, but there sometimes is one extra spot break per day. Of course the live reads blow. What's interesting is the shortness of breaks during the first replay. There are hardly any where before the length of breaks didn't really change from the original live show to the first replay.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I only listen to the on-demand version posted late in the afternoon on the days of the show through the iOS app. It's interesting that somebody goes in and edits out all of the live reads before posting it on the app. I'm not sure why they do that, but it's great.

Reactions: beaniemac