Adding a road course to the chase debate

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
So, I just heard a caller to TMD suggest adding a road course race to the chase and he was thoroughly beat down on that issue using the logic that we only race two of these a year. So how many races do we have to race on a given track configuration to qualify as a chase race? :rolleyes: Personally, I like the idea. I like the road course races much better than, let's say, a couple of two milers that we have races on. Using the 'only two' logic..... How about we shift one of those Pocono races down to Daytona for a night, road course race the week after/before the 400 there? Then, let's grab one of those California dates. How about the one that's in the chase? Let's move that one down to Daytona for a road course race in the chase. Seriously, if we use the TMD rule that you must have more than two races on a given configuration to have it qualify as a chase race, this would accomplish it. Thoughts? Hate it, love it? Remove all of the road course races? What do you think? :scratch:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'd love to see a road course in the race. Take out California or a mile and a half track. It'd be nice to have at least one type of each track in the chace.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
It shouldn't even be a debate, and NASCAR should have done it 4 or 5 years ago. I suggest taking away California's race date and giving it to Sonoma for a second time or another road racing track NASCAR doesn't go to yet.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'd love to see a road course in the race. Take out California or a mile and a half track. It'd be nice to have at least one type of each track in the chace.

I agree 100%. And I used to HATE road racing. But with the new restart rule I say put it in.

(And why the hell Kalifornia is in there is just........somebody on meth made that decision)

EDIT: From what I've heard and read....and I'm not gonna post links.....the chase was put in partly to go against the NFL. Did anybody catch the ratings for sunday's PREseason game? And Kalifornia is suppose to help the chase?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/11/nfl-still-rules-the-ratings-roost/

Last edited:

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Less mile and a halves and less two milers, ban road courses, want to watch road racing ALMS, Greand-Am or IRL should suit ya, more short tracks

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I would be up for more short tracks if they were like Bristol or Martinsville. If they were like Richmond, count me out, that track is pretty much a snoozer in terms of excitement.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
If they were like Richmond, count me out, that track is pretty much a snoozer in terms of excitement.

Please tell me that you forgot to add that little 'sarcasm' smiley at the end of that statement.
confused0006.gif

Seriously, that's the first time that I ever heard that said about the 'Action Track'. That's what makes these forums fun...... So many different onions. ;)

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
I'd have to agree with flap, the "Action Track" is nothing more to me than a 3/4 mile mile and a halfer, if you understand what I'm trying to get to, that's quite boring to watch to me, other than to see who makes the Chase.

I know this is gonna sounds blasphemous too, but I wouldn't be upset none the least if Martinsville lost a race or both. North Wilkesboro was more fun to watch than Richmond and Martinsville.

To me NASCAR has to have at least 18 degrees of banking to be effective with these cars, look at how much better Homestead is now than before when it was damn near flat.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
look at how much better Homestead is now

:eek: Holy smokers! Homestead. I agree with Bruton with regard to that being the last race. I *might* watch Homestead if say...there were two drivers going for the championship and they were 10 pts apart. Even then I'd most likely just watch the last 40 laps.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I wouldn't be upset none the least if Martinsville lost a race

ONLY if they gave the race to ORP or Iowa. Knowing nascar they'd probably give it to Kalifornia. Seriously......that chick out there must be providing some kind of, uh, *favors* to Brian and the boys.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
My stepson and I have been watching a lot of races together this year.......and he hasn't watched racing in YEARS. And when he saw Martinsville he stayed on the edge of his seat and several times during the race was yelling "This is racing!" :bow:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Last nine laps Johnson Vs. Gordon 2007 goody's 500.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgnV8OPIYE]YouTube - 2007 Goody's Cool Orange 500 - Martinsville Last 9 Laps[/ame]

I rest my case. ;)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
My stepson and I have been watching a lot of races together this year.......and he hasn't watched racing in YEARS. And when he saw Martinsville he stayed on the edge of his seat and several times during the race was yelling "This is racing!" :bow:

You should take him there. It's even better.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I'd have to agree with flap, the "Action Track" is nothing more to me than a 3/4 mile mile and a halfer, if you understand what I'm trying to get to, that's quite boring to watch to me, other than to see who makes the Chase.

I know this is gonna sounds blasphemous too, but I wouldn't be upset none the least if Martinsville lost a race or both. North Wilkesboro was more fun to watch than Richmond and Martinsville.

To me NASCAR has to have at least 18 degrees of banking to be effective with these cars, look at how much better Homestead is now than before when it was damn near flat.

:bigthumbup:

North Wilkesboro doesn't deserve a race because of the hellhole of a town it's in, and I'd only be sad if Martinsville lost a race because that's the only track I've actually been too.

Homestead, there's another track that's too boring outside the fact that it's the event it is.