Acquiring Signal in Alexandria, Va

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by Sinners Delight, Jan 19, 2009.

1. My boombox has had ''Acquiring Signal'' since Sunday evening. My mom moved a lamp that was plugged into the same extension that the boombox is plugged into. Any suggestions or is it just a coincidence?

JYJr likes this.
  2. I should also add that my boombox sits in the same place it's sat since Sept. '06; about 8 feet from a window.

3. JYJr

JYJr Member

I'm in Alexandria, too. And I've had the same problem since last night. I live near 495 and Telegraph Road and I'm getting no signal either here or my office (which faces the opposite direction of my home). Glad to see that it's not my radio that is the problem. Now I just want my signal back!

4. My signal came on for a split second and then dropped right out again. As of 4 15 Monday, no signal.

5. atlwxman

atlwxman Member

I live on Seminary Road just outside the Alexandria city limits and have only a weak signal that keeps dropping out. Must have been a repeater failure.

6. I contacted Sirius/XM who proceeded not to tell me a thing and even told me there are 0 problems in our area. Duh.

7. JYJr

JYJr Member

Of course there's no problem. It's just that our 3 radios started malfunctioning at the same time. :rolleyes:

8. A friend told me maybe it's out because of ''security reasons'' because the inaguration.

9. JYJr

JYJr Member

I actually thought about that as well, but then I figured why Alexandria and not DC itself? It's been over 24 hours and now I'm getting mad about it...

10. I am too. REAL steamed.

11. JYJr

JYJr Member

I just called Customer Service for the first time about this. Of course, they knew nothing about the problem. But at least it's on record now. The more complaints they get, the better the chance of getting something done. They said they'd "contact me" with an update, but I'm not holding my breath...

12. They told me I should unplug everything, wait 1 minute, then plug it back in. LOL. WHEEE!

13. JYJr

JYJr Member

I didn't even let them go there. I told them I have 2 home docks and a car dock and none of the three has gotten a terrestrial signal since Sunday night. Wouldn't be as big of a deal if I was at home today because I can listen on the Internet feed there, but at work, that is not an option.

14. If more than one person is having the same problem in your area, then I would just wait it out a bit. However, we are aware of acquiring signal issues with boomboxes and radios and sometimes they are traced back to power issues either with the power adapters or the radios themselves. You may possibly need a new power adapter or radio. Is there another place in your home that you use the radio? Again, since more than one of you in the same location are experiencing the same problems, then I would just wait it out a bit instead of going out and buying new equipment.

15. JYJr

JYJr Member

It's definately a repeater issue. I have a Stiletto and I just had my radio in my car and I had the antenna meter on while I was driving and there was no terrestial signal until I was about 5 miles from my place. Before Sunday, it was ALWAYS strong in the area.

16. Well, even though it's unfortunate I am happy to hear it isn't a hardware issue. Hopefully they will have the repeater back up and running in your area soon.

17. JyJr, I called 1-800-869-5364 and they [sort of] helped me. He had me unplug everything and then put it back together and move the radio to a different spot facing west. It kind of works but still drops out alot and there's like 1 bar of reception. It's a start. I wanted to let you know tho.

18. Ummmmmmmmm...forget I said the above. It dropped out again and stayed out. I'm done with it for the day. It's giving me a HUGE headache. It's a shame that something we enjoy so much has turned into a giant pain. I want to keep it but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.

19. JYJr

JYJr Member

I've had my radio since December 2006 and this is the first extended outage. Assuming it comes back soon, no big deal. I went for a ride today with my Stiletto in the car dock and the antenna aiming page on. I was getting satellite reception fine, but I didn't get any decent terrestrial reception until I went up Quaker Lane past Seminary. South of Seminary, there seemed to be no signal. And it went as far west as Landmark. Like I said, I can still get Satellite reception in the car fine. And I can listen at home on the internet feed. I just can't listen at work and I can't record to my Stiletto at home. Unfortunatly, those two methods are how I do most of my listening.

20. vaham

vaham New Member

I am in Springfield, Va near Braddock Rd and 495,and have been having the same problem off and on since early Monday morning. Glad to know it is not my equipment.