Aaron's song of the day

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'm really digging this song. It was a hit in England, but not in America.
The band brought in Rod Stewart, pre-stardom, to do the vocals, and paid him by buying him a set of seat covers for his car! :)

Python Lee Jackson
"In a Broken Dream"

Reactions: HecticArt

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Pete Townshend liked this song enough to call the songwriter on the phone to try to figure out the chords.

"I got a phone call at 11 in the morning, and somebody gave me the phone and said, “It’s Pete Townshend for you.” And I said, “Of course it is, he phones about this time every Saturday doesn’t he?” [Laughs.] I thought it was somebody making a joke. I picked up very sarcastically, 'Oh, hello Pete.' And he said, 'Oh, hello Dave, this is Peter Townshend here and I’m sitting with David Gilmour, and we’re trying to work out your song 'Save It For Later,' but we can’t work out the tuning.' They presumed it was DADGAD as well, and couldn’t make it work, and so I had to explain that I’d made a mistake and it was not DADGAD, it was DADAAD. And he laughed and said, 'Oh, thank heavens for that! We've been breaking our fingers trying to get our hands around these chords.'"
— Dave Wakeling"

The Beat (The English Beat)
"Save It for Later"

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Pete Townshend liked this song enough to call the songwriter on the phone to try to figure out the chords.

"I got a phone call at 11 in the morning, and somebody gave me the phone and said, “It’s Pete Townshend for you.” And I said, “Of course it is, he phones about this time every Saturday doesn’t he?” [Laughs.] I thought it was somebody making a joke. I picked up very sarcastically, 'Oh, hello Pete.' And he said, 'Oh, hello Dave, this is Peter Townshend here and I’m sitting with David Gilmour, and we’re trying to work out your song 'Save It For Later,' but we can’t work out the tuning.' They presumed it was DADGAD as well, and couldn’t make it work, and so I had to explain that I’d made a mistake and it was not DADGAD, it was DADAAD. And he laughed and said, 'Oh, thank heavens for that! We've been breaking our fingers trying to get our hands around these chords.'"
— Dave Wakeling"

"Save It for Later"

An MTV favorite of mine back in 82-83

Reactions: Aaron

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

— Dave Wakeling"

"Save It for Later"

I believe Townsend did an acoustic version that I hear from time to time.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"Hey, Channel98, how would you like to be today's special guest-poster on my Song Of The Day thread?" Why, certainly! Thank you, Mister Aaron. It was nice of you to ask.

Ken Lewis and John Carter wrote Funny How Love Can Be in 1964. They also wrote A Little Bit O' Soul (which was first recorded by The Little Darlings and became a big hit for Music Explosion) and Can't You Hear My Heartbeat (which was first recorded by Goldie & The Gingerbreads and became a big hit for Herman's Hermits). Funny How Love Can Be was first recorded in 1965 by The Rockin' Berries. Chad & Jeremy, The Ivy League and The Cousins also recorded the song and a version by First Class reached #75 in July 1974. Danny Hutton, who would co-found Three Dog Night in 1967, had a minor hit in late 1965 with Roses & Rainbows and in April 1966 recorded Funny How Love Can Be, which failed to chart nationally. Both songs were fairly big hits in Los Angeles, however. Hutton was born in Ireland and this song certainly has an Irish-pop sound:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Crazy enough... I was just about to ask if anyone wanted to guest host!

I recognize Danny Hutton from Three Dog Night.. but first time hearing that song

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I wonder how I knew you were going to ask. I must have ESP.

No, wait -- it's ESPN that I have.

Now that you have officially asked for a guest host, I will share Billy Crystal's You Look Marvelous, a #58 hit from September 1985. As a member of the cast of Saturday Night Live in 1984-85, Crystal appeared in several "Fernando's Hideaway" sketches. The name was a pun on the 1954 Archie Bleyer hit Hernando's Hideaway. Imitating Argentinian actor Fernando Lamas, Crystal made observations such as: "I look mahvelous but I don't feel mahvelous. Is hokie-dokie for me because, as you know, my credo is 'It is better to look good than to feel good.'"

The video is much better than the actual song. It includes look-alikes of Prince, Grace Jones, Sammy Davis Jr. and other entertainers.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
When John Fogerty came out with The Old Man Lives Down the Road, he was sued for sounding too much like CCR.

I guess this could be said by Fagen, too.

Too much good stuff that continued even after the band took a break.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Here is a song that is gooder and older. Well, maybe it's not gooder –but it's definitely older. It's the original version of Strawberry Letter 23, written and recorded in 1971 by Shuggie Otis (real name: Johnny Veliotes).