A-Rod tested positive for steroids

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Report: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 while with Texas Rangers - ESPN

This is really disappointing. I'm not really an Alex Rodriguez fan necessarily, but there's no denying how great this guy is. And now, all of his stats and eventual records (all-time home runs in all likelihood) will be tainted. EVERYONE is a suspect nowadays. If there's one person who's happy over this, it's probably Hank Aaron. A lot of people still consider him the all-time home run leader over Bonds, and when A-Rod eventually breaks the record again (probably), Aaron still might get that distinction.

A whole lot more of these for the record books: *

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
What's up with Madonna getting hooked up with steroid users?...:right:

Doesn't matter anyway. With all that's gone on in baseball in the past 20 years, records don't matter...:)

radsatdaily

Dec 7, 2008
www.RadSatDaily.com
Yeah, A-Rod is huge. I remember Jose Canseco mentioning that they purposefully left A-Rod off that list last year because it would make baseball look bad. It came out in the open eventually anyway.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I'm watching the OKU-KU Basketball game and it's seems like every commercial break, they break in with breaking news that A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 2003...:shock:

Give it a rest, already...:worried:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
A good majority of pro sports players use/used. Get over it. Offer me $10 million/year and I'll be jabbing needles in my arm to compete as well. It's a simple fact.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Uh...I hate to say "I told you so", but....I told you so, all of you that argued with me on the old countless SBS sports forums.

This was one aspect of my arguments in the past on SBS forums that seemed to be lost on just about everyone. There were handfuls of posters hoping and wishing that the day would arrive when A-Rod would break Bonds' record. I would retort that A-Rod was probably on the stuff as well.

I could never figure out why so many people had such hate for Bonds when so many others were taking part. I talked about Clemmens before he was nailed and I talked about Rodriguez as well. I think the only player that will survive the steroids era unscathed with asterisks will be Luis Gonzalez. I don't care what anyone says, there's no way that guy wasn't on something.

I knew this day would come...I was just waiting.

The one aspect of this that I now find interesting is why this information is finally coming to light. Why now?

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Good, I hope he looses some of his deals and gets kicked out of baseball for a while!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the only player that will survive the steroids era unscathed with asterisks will be Luis Gonzalez. I don't care what anyone says, there's no way that guy wasn't on something.

Yeah I'd say there's a very good chance that Gonzo was on the juice.

Except for maybe someone like Craig Counsell, everyone from that era is now a suspect...there's no getting around it. I posted in another thread that I'm almost sure Rickey Henderson was a juicer. He was a big guy, and he played on teams with McGwire and Canseco.

And as much as I'd rather not believe it to be true, it's hard to convince me that Jeff Bagwell wasn't benefiting from something.

By the way, ESPN will have A-Rod's first interview since this steroid news broke. Peter Gammons interviewed him today and I believe it will air on this evening's (6:00 eastern) edition of SportsCenter. In the interview, Rodriguez reportedly admits to using performance-enhancing drugs. Interesting. He seems to be going the Andy Pettite route. Smart, after seeing what has happened with Bonds and Clemens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Report: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 while with Texas Rangers - ESPN

This is really disappointing. I'm not really an Alex Rodriguez fan necessarily, but there's no denying how great this guy is. And now, all of his stats and eventual records (all-time home runs in all likelihood) will be tainted. EVERYONE is a suspect nowadays. If there's one person who's happy over this, it's probably Hank Aaron. A lot of people still consider him the all-time home run leader over Bonds, and when A-Rod eventually breaks the record again (probably), Aaron still might get that distinction.

A whole lot more of these for the record books: *

Bonds was thrice an MVP before roids, A-Rod...not so much. I don't see how it's disappointing, unless you're a huge fan of his or that you bleed for baseball, because again, that's really what's taking the hit here...it's baseball that ends up the loser.

I've been cynical about steroids in baseball for going on twenty years now. I knew while watching the 1989 Oakland A's that my Giants didn't stand a chance in the World Series...and they didn't. I just saw it as something that was becoming more and more a part of the game. MLB didn't seem to mind, the fans didn't seem to mind(until Bonds started breaking records), the players union didn't seem to mind. That's why I could never understand the "outrage" over steroids. What exactly has changed?

It doesn't matter that a lot of people don't hold Bonds or eventually A-Rod as the home run king, it doesn't matter, because the reality is that they are the record holder, or soon to be record holder. It's like saying "so and so is not my President". People can bury their heads in the sand all they want, the numbers, though tweaked, don't lie.

Personally, I can't wait to see Yankee fan cheer when A-Rod goes deep one night in April or August to help the Yankees win a close game. It will just be more proof, that I don't actually need, to know that people are hypocrites about their sports.

Bonds...then Clemmens and now Rodriguez are taking it on the chin for all of baseball's sins...when in reality it should be Fehr, Selig, the owners, the sports media, the players and the fans that should all feel the shame....after all, they were the ones that really fueled this mess.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I've been cynical about steroids in baseball for going on twenty years now. I knew while watching the 1989 Oakland A's that my Giants didn't stand a chance in the World Series...and they didn't. I just saw it as something that was becoming more and more a part of the game. MLB didn't seem to mind, the fans didn't seem to mind(until Bonds started breaking records), the players union didn't seem to mind. That's why I could never understand the "outrage" over steroids. What exactly has changed?

You bring up an interesting point. Did the 1988 Dodger out 'roid the A's? What about the 1990 Reds?...:scratch:

Did the 2002 Angels out 'roid the Giants? Bonds hit more home runs in that series than anyone else...:shock:

:)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't see how it's disappointing, unless you're a huge fan of his or that you bleed for baseball, because again, that's really what's taking the hit here...it's baseball that ends up the loser.

Yes, exactly. It's sad that baseball's best players are continually associated with all this steroid bullshit. It never ends! Just when you think the MLB is putting this stuff behind it, a new and bigger name comes out. I'm tired of it. You say baseball to a lot of fans out there, the first word that probably pops in their head is steroids. ESPN gives more coverage to steroids than the actual baseball.

And now with A-Rod being tied to it, this is all we'll hear about for months.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
You bring up an interesting point. Did the 1988 Dodger out 'roid the A's? What about the 1990 Reds?...:scratch:

Did the 2002 Angels out 'roid the Giants? Bonds hit more home runs in that series than anyone else...:shock:

:)

You look at that A's team of '89 and they are loaded. The subsequent years brought many, many others that juiced for the A's. The Bay Area was a cornucopia of roids.

Bonds is one guy...and that 2002 series was a series they were 6 outs away from winning. Dusty pulled Ortiz to get to Hernandez(who got reamed on a called third strike call and who eventually coughed up a huge dinger that set the table for Robb Nen's blown out arm and the Glaus knife to the heart), but yeah, steroids almost won that series, even though it was largely just one guy. Glaus was busted for using steroids, so...yeah...maybe so.

HGH and roids doesn't guarantee a WS ring, but it sure as hell helps. In each of those WS years, the A's were prohibitive favorites. The '88 series turned on a miracle pinch hit and the timely hits of Mickey Hatcher and Orel's arm, in '90 they were outplayed and out pitched by the Reds. In '89 the earthquake played a major part in the A's winning as they had a chance to throw their two best pitchers twice in a four game series. With no earthquake I think the Giants win one or two games, but don't win that series. So...great pitching and a few timely hits can outdo the needle and the damage done.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any player from the '89 Giants team that I would pin as someone taking steroids. That scenario changes dramatically when advancing 7 years into the future.

You may not agree, but I feel with every fiber of my being that I am totally on with this subject.

There are hundreds of players that were not caught, and whom may never be caught just because their connection wasn't caught up in the scandal. Some I feel might be protected from the league, others just by the grace of God. I don't know what to think about Arod's case. Was it bad luck or someone tired of protecting his ass?

Reactions: semipenguin

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Here is something I think that should not occur with this Congress getting involved because they have more important issues right now , and A Rod admitted his mistake and hopefully we can move on from this.