A look at the Sirius FM-5 Satellite advanced antenna reflector

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008

One of the key components of the new Sirius FM-5 satellite, which was just recently put into service, is the satellite's massive advanced antenna reflector made by Harris.

The concept of focusing the Sirius FM-5 signal on areas of peak population (like metropolitan areas on the east and west coast) is a significant departure from the satellite radio provider's satellite constellation. And it's the unfurlable antenna reflector (pictured above - click on the photo to see a big version) that makes this possible.
The Sirius FM-5 satellite featuress an S-band payload and the Harris antenna reflector makes it possible for the satellite to focus the 2 GHz S-band signals on the U.S.

The reflector features a Harris-patented, gold-plated mesh reflective surface coupled with a specific design used by Harris that maximizes antenna gain and provides the improved performance required for mobile, media services while reducing stowed volume and antenna mass.

During launch, the Harris reflector was stowed onboard the satellite - pretty much like an umbrella. Once on orbit, Space Systems/Loral controllers executed a series of maneuvers to deploy an articulating boom (also made by Harris) and then unfurl the reflector.

Harris actually has been in the mesh reflector business for over 30 years, and has over forty such reflectors already in orbit. They've worked with SS/L in the past, and this is yet another of a Harris reflector in a commercial application.

27Ne2bXuPsw

---
View the original Article at Orbitcast or discuss it here.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, quick question- is the new Sirius FM5 bird at a higher elevation(stationary) than the XM birds? I know the original 3 Sirius sats are higher up than the XM ones, as they reach further north than the XM ones.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The azimuth of the URL is negated by the Polaris in the southeastern sky. A sat's trajectory is affected by the gravitational force exerted upon it by Uranus.

/I have no idea, the answer to your question.
//I lol'd when I typed that.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Ok, quick question- is the new Sirius FM5 bird at a higher elevation(stationary) than the XM birds? I know the original 3 Sirius sats are higher up than the XM ones, as they reach further north than the XM ones.

For Phoenix, AZ.
Satellite: 85.1W XM 1 (Roll), 2 (Rock), 3 (Rhythm)
Elevation: 41.5°
Azimuth (true): 137.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 126.1°

Satellite: 115.0W XM 4 (Blues)
Elevation: 51.0°
Azimuth (true): 185.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 174.1°

Satellite: 97.0W Galaxy 19 (Sirius5 is @96.0W, this is the closest slot occupied on the dishpointer website i used.)
Elevation: 47.8°
Azimuth (true): 154.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 142.8°

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Xan_user is a GREATEST American hero.

you're probably too young to remember...

Greatest_American_Hero_%281981%29.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-kj6RIfD0"]YouTube - Greatest American Hero Intro High Quality[/ame]

Thanks hyson, now i know what my next avatar will be.

Last edited:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Too bad I can't view streaming media at work.All I'm seeing is a big grey box of death.

So....

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

It would be the same height as the XM birds. There is only one place to put geo-stationary sats.

I suspect this would be next to useless for Alaska would it not? It is my understanding that XM is very hard to aquire up there.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It would be the same height as the XM birds. There is only one place to put geo-stationary sats.

I suspect this would be next to useless for Alaska would it not? It is my understanding that XM is very hard to aquire up there.

Yes, XM is ver difficult to receive in Anchorage, Alaska, unless you are up in a high rise or have a clear view of the Southeast horizon (no trees of mountains). Sirius works much better, due to its in motion sats.