'60s On 6 Playlist

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"Don't tell me you found another song that is missing from the list!" Okay, I won't tell you. Here it is. Eddie Hodges – his real first name is Samuel – was a child actor who appeared in seven movies including A Hole In The Head, The Happiest Millionaire, The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn and Live A Little, Love A Little. His (Girls Girls Girls) Made To Love reached #14 in August 1962 and is on the list. His first hit reached #12 in August 1961. The Isley Brothers had recorded the song in 1959 and released it as a single but it failed to chart.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Two more to add – and I think the list now includes every top-40 hit of the 1960s. Next month I will repost the complete list. Hey, I have to – 60s On 6 now has a new name and a new channel.

I Can See For Miles - The Who (9/1967)
Proud - Johnny Crawford (29/1963)

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"Hey, why haven't you re-posted the list for the renamed '60s Gold channel?" I will. Eventually. It will no longer include any songs from 1970. I will post it when I am confident no top-40 hits are missing. "Does that mean you found another missing song?" Yes, this #5 hit from 1961. The song was written by Johnny Mercer and Harry Warren in 1938 and has been recorded by more than 90 artists including Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Tab Hunter, Maurice Chevalier, Bobby Vee, Peggy Lee, Vic Damone, Michael Bublé, Eddy Arnold, Tony Tennille and the Dave Clark Five.

[/I]

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Exciting news! I have been trying to identify the background singers on many of the 1960s hits so I can add that information to the list. I finally learned who sang on Elvis Presley's 1969 number-one hit Suspicious Minds: It was Mary Greene, Donna Thatcher and sisters Ginger Holladay and Mary Holliday. They called themselves Southern Comfort and sang on several of Presley's recordings from 1969-73. They did not tour with him, however. During those years, he was joined onstage by the Sweet Inspirations.

Mary Greene also recorded as Jeanie Greene. Donna Thatcher and her husband, pianist Keith Godchaux, were members of the Grateful Dead from 1972 to 1979.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The song was written by Johnny Mercer and Harry Warren in 1938 and has been recorded by more than 90 artists including Bing Crosby
Whenever I hear this song ("You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby") I can only think of this (35 seconds into it)...

As far as I'm concerned, the next line is and always will be "Ba ba-ba ba-ba ba-ba buh-buh"

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Another one to add. The list includes Bert Kaempfert's version of Wonderland By Night, which was number one for three weeks in January 1961, but not Louis Prima's version, which peaked at #15 that same month.

Guy Zapoleon

Jun 2, 2022
Found some more good ones they should be playing using my background of Los Angeles Chart freak these were songs that got alot of airplay in Los Angeles most of them Top 10 in Los Angeles or album cuts on Humble Harve's show...also Rockin Good Way I've heard on the 60s Satellite survey

AnimalsHey Gyp
Bobby Fuller FourLet Her Dance
Buchanon BrothersSon Of A Lovin Man
Burnette, DorseyThe Greatest Love
Charles, SonnyLove Is All I Have To Give
ColoursLove Heals
Dick Dale & The DelMiserlou
FireballsCome On, React!
FireballsLong Green
Fun & GamesGrooviest Girl In The World
Gaye, Marvin, & Tammi TerrellGood Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By
Herman's HermitsI Can Take Or Leave Your Lovin
Janis IanSociety's Child
Lovin' SpoonfulFull Measure
LuluMorning Dew
Martha & The VandellasLove Makes Me Do Foolish Things
Petula ClarkYou'd Better Come Home
RascalsSee
Rita CoolidgeTurn Around And Love You
Rodger CollinsShe's Looking Good
Rolling StonesFortune Teller
Rolling StonesMona
Sinatra, FrankCycles
Sir Douglas QuintetMendocino
Smith, Jerry, & His PianosTruck Stop
StandellsSometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White
The Doors20th Century Fox
The SeedsMr. Farmer
Thomas and Richard FrostShe's got love
Three Dog NightNobody
Washington/BentonRockin Good Way
YardbirdsStill I'm Sad

Last edited:
Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In the 1970s, Guy Zapoleon was the music director of top-40 KRLA in Pasadena and oldies KRTH in Los Angeles – not at the same time, of course. Welcome to DRC, Guy! Yes, many of those songs did much better in Los Angeles than nationally. Misirlou went to number one on both the KRLA Tunedex and the KFWB Fabulous Forty in January 1963 but failed to make the Billboard Hot 100. It didn't even make the Bubbling Under chart!

I posted an expanded '60s channel list at '60s Gold playlist – and I occasionally still find songs that are missing! *Sigh*

Guy Zapoleon

Jun 2, 2022
In the 1970s, Guy Zapoleon was the music director of top-40 KRLA in Pasadena and oldies KRTH in Los Angeles – not at the same time, of course. Welcome to DRC, Guy! Yes, many of those songs did much better in Los Angeles than nationally. Misirlou went to number one on both the KRLA Tunedex and the KFWB Fabulous Forty in January 1963 but failed to make the Billboard Hot 100. It didn't even make the Bubbling Under chart!

I posted an expanded '60s channel list at '60s Gold playlist – and I occasionally still find songs that are missing! *Sigh*
Thank you Aaron honored to be part of this group, I wish we could get the 60s Gold team to play a little more depth every hour(yes I know I'm going against some of my terrestrial radio consultant advice) but I've always felt these channels should be deeper back to when Lee Abrams launched it(and I loved his version).

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Hey, Guy, don't thank Aaron. Thank me! Aaron is a moderator here. I'm the guy – no pun intended – who compiles and posts all the SiriusXM playlists. For 13 years I wrote the daily Rewind feature (celebrity birthdays, radio history, music trivia) for Don Barrett's LARadio website. The '60s channel originally played 1960 through 1969 and almost every top-40 hit was on the playlist. The '50s channel played 1950 through 1959. Major changes were made circa 2008, The '50s channel focused on 1955 through 1963 and continued to be called '50s On 5, even though it played songs from the first four years of the decade of the 1960s. The '60s channel played 1963 through 1969. The early 1950s hits moved to the '40s channel. Eventually the '60s channel started re-adding a few songs from 1960-62 – but only the biggest hits.

In 1990, "Energy 96.5" KNRJ in Houston switched to a new format as "Mix 96.5" KHMX. The format: hot adult contemporary. Its creator: Guy Zapoleon.

Reactions: HecticArt

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I liked Guy's post earlier. Now with my official welcome to DRC! We have some lively music discussions in some of the threads around here, and some friendly banter in the Studio Lounge. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Guy also programmed KRQQ Tucson, WBZZ in Pittsburgh and KZZP in Phoenix. He had a much more successful radio career than I did. Mine was limited to a one-hour on-air audition at KGOE in Thousand Oaks. Hey, here is a peachy-keen idea: Let Guy take over the '60s channel!