$500,000,000?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I was just thinking about this number and had to ask this question as I've heard debate both ways about it:

This number is reflective of:

a) Howard Stern's (and ONLY HS's) contractual compensation by Sirius?
b) Howard Stern's budget to run the two channels and his salary is part of this number
c) None of the above (please explain)

I normally thought it was option A but have heard option B come up, too.

So what gives?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I was under the impression it was B but with stock options and incentives if he brought X amount of subs. Which he did.
Could be wrong though.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I thought the 500 million and whatever other monies was to put on HIS show (including paying staff) and the various 7 PM shows.

Bubba gets paid by Sirius. Bubba turns around and pays his staff. I'm assuming that Ferrall is in the same situation.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I thought the 500 million and whatever other monies was to put on HIS show (including paying staff) and the various 7 PM shows.

Bubba gets paid by Sirius. Bubba turns around and pays his staff. I'm assuming that Ferrall is in the same situation.

That seems to be the concensus.

So is Riley Martin correct in saying that Howard, himself, is being the "cheap Jew bastard" and not paying him?

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
So is Riley Martin correct in saying that Howard, himself, is being the "cheap Jew bastard" and not paying him?

quite possibly

nonetheless, uhhhh, riley can always try his luck elsewhere for $0

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Sirius XM Radio Inc. - Howard Stern And SIRIUS Announce The Most Important Deal In Radio History

"SIRIUS estimates that Stern only would need to generate approximately 1 million subscribers in order to cover the costs of the deal. Total production and operating costs for the Stern show, including compensation of the show cast and staff, overhead, construction costs for a dedicated studio, and a budget for the development of additional programming and marketing concepts, is estimated to be approximately $100 million per year."

Thats not counting the stock bonus...
Sirius pays Howard Stern $83 million stock bonus | Technology | Internet | Reuters

Reactions: Bark

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio
, and a budget for the development of additional programming

It comes down to how one interprets this statement. It is my contention that development does not equal production costs. Therefore, Howard's deal covers his show only. Bubba, Ferrall, and all 7:00 shows come out of a seperate budget. Not that Howard doesn't have a say as to who get's what.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
That seems to be the concensus.

I think you're right. At the beginning, Stern was to program three channels funded by 100 mil a year.

Not only are there only two channels instead of three (one looping the Stern show), but the "top" radio talent must not be banging down the door to work for How....I mean Sirius.

So, what's left of the 100 mil after staff salary goes to Hoard. That's why there are ZERO production costs, ZERO road trips, and no other expenses like contests unless a sponsor puts up cash. Hell, the few expenses they have are probably written off by way of HTV anyway.

*Cue the Iron Sheik clip*

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio
I think you're right. At the beginning, Stern was to program three channels funded by 100 mil a year.

Why would he even entertain the thought of a 3rd channel if he knew it was going to come out of his deal/money?

If McDonalds gave you $100 mil a year for a 2 or 3 car race team, how many cars would you put on the track?

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
If McDonalds gave you $100 mil a year for a 2 or 3 car race team, how many cars would you put on the track?

I would do whatever was agreed to in the contract, and what was promised to potential (now actual) subscriber base and stockholders.

If, such as in your example, a third car was not feasable, it would be declared BEFORE race season, not erased from history as if it were never promised, so when only two cars show up, people are not confused, or feel cheated.

Because Sirius is a publicly traded company, they should have announced that there would be no third channel when they knew it wasn't going to happen, which was probably early on. That didn't happen because that might have equaled money loss for Mr. Stern - a BIG no-no. People bought stock based on Hoard's ramblings, and lost big money (except for him, of course).

Perhaps that was part of Chaunce Hayden's accusations, along with accusing the lanky miser of the old "pump and dump" trick that got him banned from the show. LOL

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Are we still talking about a radio show or a raped and battered ex-girlfriend? For fuck's sake.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
DLM was much more interesting when Jgatie was around; everyone needs a foil. Call me crazy but I miss that guy.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
DLM was much more interesting when Jgatie was around; everyone needs a foil. Call me crazy but I miss that guy.

LOL

It wouldn't matter. I promised the mods I would no longer respond to him after a meltdown he had a while before his banning. I kept my word until they gave him the boot. I also had nothing to do with his departure, and never complained to the mods about anyone, including him. I actually liked him.

I would like to see him invited back - just so I could steal his username again. Fun times! :)