49ers, Vikings could pursue Vick

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
49ers, Vikings could pursue Vick

Two teams with unsettled quarterback situations—the San Francisco 49ers and the Minnesota Vikings—might be interested in acquiring suspended Atlanta Falcons star Michael Vick.

Vick is in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July. The Falcons have said they will try to trade him, though they could cut him and make him a free agent.

San Francisco coach Mike Singletary said Vick deserves the chance to play in the league, and believes he will be successful if he returns. He wouldn’t say if the 49ers would pursue him.

“He’s still under contract, you can’t really talk to him or have any contact with him,” Singletary said. “Right now, we’re just going to look at the quarterbacks we have and go from there.”

There might be questions about Vick’s sharpness and conditioning because he hasn’t played since 2006, but he’s a proven winner who led the Falcons to an NFC championship game and has been to three Pro Bowls. The dynamic athlete has the NFL single-season record for yards rushing by a quarterback with 1,039 in 2006, and is third all-time. He also has passed for 11,505 yards in six seasons, with 71 touchdowns and 52 interceptions.

Singletary said the team would likely enter training camp with Shaun Hill as the No. 1 quarterback. Hill passed for 2,046 yards and had an 87.5 passer rating last season, but that wasn’t enough to impress 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, who said the team clearly needs to upgrade the position.

“I’m not going to get into names,” he said. “The important thing now is which ones fit that (system). It has to be a chemistry where he fits in with everybody. There’s value out there, and it’s a position we need to address, whether it’s the draft or free agency.”

Minnesota coach Brad Childress said the Vikings are looking for someone to challenge Tarvaris Jackson, and are willing to make moves to ensure that it happens.

“We need to put somebody in place that will push him and compete with him,” Childress said. “I think competition is the nature of the game.”

Childress wouldn’t confirm or deny interest in Vick.

“I really don’t get into hypotheticals because I think there’s too much water that’s got to happen. I’d cross that bridge when I come to it.”

Veteran Gus Frerotte, who started for much of last season before getting injured, isn’t sure if he’ll return. The Vikings say they would welcome Frerotte back, though he has made it clear he wants to start.

Jackson began last season as Minnesota’s starter, but was benched for Frerotte after the Vikings began the season 0-2. Frerotte went 8-3 as a starter, but he suffered a hand injury, and the Vikings turned to Jackson again. Jackson led the Vikings to the playoffs and finished the season with a 95.4 passer rating, the best of his three-year career. He has 20 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions in his career.

“I think that Tarvaris has to continue to improve, and I believe he will,” Childress said. “I think he gave some glimpses, coming back in cold off the bench and doing some of the things he did. Obviously, he’s got to eliminate some of those turnovers.”

The New York Jets also will have a new quarterback after Brett Favre’s retirement, but they appear to be happier than the 49ers and Vikings with what they have. New coach Rex Ryan said the team feels comfortable with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Eric Ainge competing for the job.

“I think if you ask the organization, it’s probably split on who they think can do it.” Ryan said. “It’s definitely an open competition.”

Ryan said he’d lean toward choosing among his three quarterbacks. He said he’s not interested in selling the future for a quick fix.

“Right now, I’d rather have our draft picks,” Ryan said. “I’d rather not talk about any potential free agent out there, with the tampering rules and everything else the way they are.”

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I think the NFL should not allow Michael Vick back in the NFL! They kicked Ricky Williams and Pac Man Jones out for a while and unfortunately there back in uniforms. :rolleyes: What next Plaxico Burress back in the league?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Vick will have served his sentence. I see no problem in letting him back into the league. If the 49ers want him, I say go for it, although I think he'd be a better fit for the Raiders...:rolleyes:

:)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I agree with semi... once he's done his time, he should have the same rights to pursue employment as anyone else.

I could imagine him playing for Singletary and the 49ers.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I'd be very surprised if he went to the 49ers, but people from Minnesota are a low bunch of beings, so I wouldn't put it past them.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I'd be very surprised if he went to the 49ers, but people from Minnesota are a low bunch of beings, so I wouldn't put it past them.

What the hell? Thats a pretty sweeping and rude sentiment. Not cool. Now if you said the Minnesota Vikings suck and you hate them, well, that's different. Be nice!

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Vick did the crime, but he did the time. He's paid for it so I say let him play. Whether any team will take him is another matter. If they can work out that 9 million pricetag to come with incentives or something maybe.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN

What the hell? Thats a pretty sweeping and rude sentiment. Not cool. Now if you said the Minnesota Vikings suck and you hate them, well, that's different. Be nice!

I'm not sure, but I think he's talking about that lake cruise the Vikings players had a few years ago...:rolleyes:

MoeSyslack

Oct 14, 2008
Summer Shade KY
As a 49ers fan I do not want Vick as a quarterback. He is highly overated. the niners need to focus on getting a good draft and franchise a quarterback. Not getting a washed up overated criminal.