42" flat screen LCD 1080p TV for under $1000?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Go to IKEA. :)

That TV has a good amount of HDMI inputs as well. I have heard that LG is good, too.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Amazon has it for $959 delivered. Will you be using it with an A/V receiver? If so, you only need 1 HDMI. If not, you're good to go with the 3 HDMI built in. The one GLARING drawback to this TV is that it lacks 120hz refresh rate. I would not buy a new TV today without 120hz refresh rate. I am personally fond of Samsung's. I have 3 Sammy LCD's.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
You want a LCD and not a plasma? Costco has a 42 inch Panasonic for that money and it has been Consumer Reports best buy 4 years in a row. I love my Panasonic.

Plus when you by at Costco they double the Mfgr warranty at no charge.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Amazon has it for $959 delivered. Will you be using it with an A/V receiver? If so, you only need 1 HDMI. If not, you're good to go with the 3 HDMI built in. The one GLARING drawback to this TV is that it lacks 120hz refresh rate. I would not buy a new TV today without 120hz refresh rate. I am personally fond of Samsung's. I have 3 Sammy LCD's.

I've read about the refresh rate a few times now. I haven't bought a flat screen for about 4 years so my research is way out of date.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I read a lot about 120hz displays before buying my latest. I found that none of the interpolation algorithms are really that impressive. It's not just showing the same frame 4 times, it's trying to calculate missing interframes. I opted to skip that feature on this TV. Maybe it will get better.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I've read about the refresh rate a few times now. I haven't bought a flat screen for about 4 years so my research is way out of date.

Absolutely. There is a WORLD of difference between the old technology of 60hz versus 120hz LCD's. This is especially true when watching sports or high motion programs.

erauqs

Jun 15, 2009
I was torn between Sony and Samsung when I decided to buy an LCD TV three months ago. But in the end, I settled for the latter because of the quality and price. The picture clarity was so good that you can't tell the difference between the two and the clincher was the price eventually. Samsung is much cheaper. And examining the LCD TV ratings greatly helped me in arriving at my selection. I couldn't be more happier.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I was also torn between Sony and Samsung when I bought a 46 inch 1080p tv. I opted for the Samsung because it was cheaper than the Sony and had the same features and the picture quality was equal. I paid 1200 for it and I couldn't be happier.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
120hz is for losers! 240hz is where it's at!!!

And yes. It is amazing.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
So I got my new apartment here in DC:

Rockville Town Square

Now I'm decorating. I have to buy an entire apartment worth of furniture so I don't have huge cash to throw at any one thing. I'm looking at LCD TVs for under $1000. I've found this one:

42LG50 42" LCD TV (Widescreen, 1920x1080, 15,000:1, HDTV) - Compare Prices and Product Reviews

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I've had the model one step down from that (42LG30) for about three months and don't like it. The color is good but the blacks have no definition and run into each other; very annoying. Relatively speaking, the picture is fair with HD channels and poor for non-HDTV channels. Also the swivel stand is made cheaply. My next TV will not be an LG, they should've stuck to just making cell phones.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I've had the model one step down from that (42LG30) for about three months and don't like it. The color is good but the blacks have no definition and run into each other; very annoying. Relatively speaking, the picture is fair with HD channels and poor for non-HDTV channels. Also the swivel stand is made cheaply. My next TV will not be an LG, they should've stuck to just making cell phones.

The HD is definitely less than amazing on the LG that I picked up. I thought it was my cable at first. My old panasonic had a far better picture. But, it was only like $800 for a 46 inch. However, this will be my last LG as well.