$356/year for 2 radios now?

J3ff

Oct 13, 2008
You know what's hilarious about this topic?

I have had about 7 sirius radios.

Out of those 7, 2 of them remain activated......and I haven't paid for sat radio in years.

One of them is in a car that I hardly drive..... and I can't move the radio to my daily driver.

One of them I gave to my parents, my mom uses it all the time.

I personally download stern. Mostly because sirius/stern doesn't give me what I want.

I want to be able to download the show to a directory on my personal server. The server then syncs that stuff to my google music account, the specific mp3's would then be available to me in my car (via my cell phone that gets docked eveytime I drive somewhere) or at my work OR on my cell when I'm doing yardwork/house work.

What amazes me is that half of why I listen to NICK AND ARTIE is because they make it so damn easy for me to do so! While here we have super expensive stern who's only on 3 days a week and he/sirius forces me to steal it, in order for me to listen when I want to.

Perfect example. H101 has been running great Xmas Shuffle content these last few days.

Well guess what. I've been WORKING these last few days, like most of us. I don't have time to listen to it.........but someone posted the whole thing! I can't wait to be listening to this on my cell phone tomorrow while I'm painting/hitting the DMV/Driving around...

Pausing it whenever I need to.

Sirius just doesn't get it. PUT THE SHIT ONLINE in Mp3 form......

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Slacker is a good deal, depending on what you want out of satellite. If you listen to the talk and sports content, like I do, Slacker wouldn't do much.

But you also have the ESPN Radio app, $2.99 one-time last I checked in the App Store which offers access to all major ESPN Radio stations including locals, and access to every ESPN podcast (I listen to PTI quite often on the app and it works.)

With pocket tunes, Tunein, Wunderradio and free apps from services like BBC, NPR and countless it's impossible to NOT get exactly what your looking for.

Super Dave

Oct 12, 2008
Maple Shade, NJ
www.oropallo.us
I reached a point where I drive about 15 to 20 minutes to work each day and paying for a receiver in my truck isn't worth it anymore. I got Sirius for Stern and we all know he his hardly ever on, and if he is he makes it clear he doesn't want to be. I can get the ESPN feed over a local station so the only channel I will miss a little is The NFL channel. I bought myself a new head unit for less than the sub and it has HD and a front USB and Aux so I am good to go. I download Bubba's shows and put them on a Thumb drive to listen to as I drive. I do have a Starmate that is paid until August that I could always plug into the Aux, but I don't see a need, I have a whole house FM transmitter so I can put on H100 and catch a replay if I am in the mood when I get home.

Calling to cancel made me not want to do business with Sirius, between the dropped calls, long hold and hard sell it is so annoying. They just don't get it, pissing off someone who is still a customer is not good business. I still have 1 radio of each active, not sure if I will re up either one. They did offer me 1/2 off for a year and 3 free months, a new radio with a boombox and pushed any sell they could. But what is really annoying, you are on the line to cancel and the recording keeps harping how you save all this time and run your account online, yeah I can everything but cancel.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I tried earlier today on the chat part of their website to get a better deal. No dice.

I will call and see what they can do.....

$300 for one radio and no internet for two years is no bueno.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
My sub ran out and I didn't get any deals at all to renew so I let it go. I'll re-up in a month or two I'm sure. I'm already missing my Octane and Rockbar. (and recorded stern shows on my SL2)

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I tried earlier today on the chat part of their website to get a better deal. No dice.

I will call and see what they can do.....

$300 for one radio and no internet for two years is no bueno.

My sub ran out and I didn't get any deals at all to renew so I let it go. I'll re-up in a month or two I'm sure. I'm already missing my Octane and Rockbar. (and recorded stern shows on my SL2)

So is SiriusXM playing hardball now or something?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So is SiriusXM playing hardball now or something?

I think it is all in the rep you get. The first week in Jan I called them to make sure my renewal was quarterly and mentioned I was considering canceling but for now only wanted to go quarterly. The guy offered me a deal of 6 months for the cost of 3 basically 50% off. I do still listen in my car, but often listen to MOG or Slacker now too.

I think it you just presume they will automatically give you a deal they may not. I just played dumb. He ask why I would cancel and I told him cause I listen to MOG and Slacker. He did not have to offer me a deal as I was not canceling, if you offer I will take it.

DAB
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
My Truck Sub runs out on February 19th.

I am not paying $200 for one year of it, because I have a 500GB hard drive attached to Sync in my truck with over 1,000 songs and 470GB more space to fill.

Also, I can stream BTLS off of my cell phone via Bluetooth on the way to work.

I hardly ever listen to Stern now that hes on 3 day weeks, and without the new Xtra Channels on my 2009 edition factory receiver, its pointless.

If I can get the $77 deal, I am in for another year. If not, I can live without it.

:boxing:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Keep in mind that you can't let it lapse. SXM auto-renews. If you don't call to cancel, they will bill your credit card again.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Keep in mind that you can't let it lapse. SXM auto-renews. If you don't call to cancel, they will bill your credit card again.

I plan on calling on February 18th to cancel. I wasnt going to pay the $2.00 invoicing fee, so I had no choice but to put it on auto-renew.

I will request the $77/yr plan and if they dont want to give that to me, I'll cancel and wait for the barrage of mailings and phone calls before I give in.

:bluecool:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Everyone wanted the merger to happen. This is the crap we'll have to go thru now that one company holds all the cards :(

Shame on those who let this merger go thru. Sirius should have been made to sell off the XM spectrum :banghead:

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk :)

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Deals

I know many people on several SAT rad sites have gotten deals over years. I'm been with XM since 2001 and have never been offered any deal. They do keep trying to give me additional radios, etc, but never a subscription deal. But, WTH, I'm only a 10 year listener...with multiple radios...why do I deserve any "deal"?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Everyone wanted the merger to happen. This is the crap we'll have to go thru now that one company holds all the cards :(

Shame on those who let this merger go thru. Sirius should have been made to sell off the XM spectrum :banghead:

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk :)

Eventually with all the spectrum merged under a single company all of us will be better off. The fact is that Sirius XM does have competition from all these internet music companies. If you review Slacker, MOG and forum areas you quickly realize how many have canceled and now have those services. Competition is certainly not lacking.

Looking at past financials these companies likely both would have failed without the merger. Selling off XM spectrum likely wouldn't have ended up with another sat radio provider, but would have been repurposed. I think sat radio is much better off having all that spectrum under a single provider long term.

Now I also think that bad business decisions is likely what caused 2 of these companies not to be able to make it. Nonetheless it is unlikely anyone else would have even tried given the high cost of starting one of these services.

I don't think what is going on is that big of a deal and once all the spectrum is combined under a single service all this will just be a faded memory.

Dragline

Nov 12, 2008
It's a shame that we have to play games with Sirius in order to get a lower price. I can't imagine they're losing money on all these deals they're giving out, otherwise I'm assuming they would severely limit them. It's not just these forums. Among family and friends, I know more people paying the lower rates than the actual full price.

We just received the renewal letter for my wife's car. Her free trial is about to end. If the price was right, I'd renew. I'd even resubscribe in my own car. But, there's no way we're paying what Sirius is charging these days. In my mind, a fair price is under $10 per radio per month, including the music royalty fee.

Reactions: hyson