30 Years Later: The Who Concert Tragedy

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, hopefully that doesn't happen at the Super Bowl, which by the way, they somehow get to play the Halftime show this year:scratch:

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I wasn't at the Who show but have attended some concerts and UC basketball games at that facility.

Was a horrible setup = only a couple small sets of doors on the ends of the building, unlike modern facilities where doors are almost always in view from anywhere around the building. It was an accident waiting to happen.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
I wasn't at the Who show but have attended some concerts and UC basketball games at that facility.

Was a horrible setup = only a couple small sets of doors on the ends of the building, unlike modern facilities where doors are almost always in view from anywhere around the building. It was an accident waiting to happen.
And the venue is still screwy. I went to see Heaven and Hell/Megadeth/Machine Head there a couple of years ago, and if you had floor tickets, you had to go down to the loading dock and go in a door down there and get a wristband. I don't mind getting a wristband, but I missed half of Machine Head's set because they wouldn't let me in the door without walking down to the catacombs of the arena. Lame.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
...but I missed half of Machine Head's set because they wouldn't let me in the door without walking down to the catacombs of the arena.

Just saw them in Vegas for the first time over the weekend, opening for Metallica. Heavy and loud. Good warm up for Metallica's loud.

I didn't realize that the riverfront coliseum was still around. I thought they were planning on tearing it down with the ballpark.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
Just saw them in Vegas for the first time over the weekend, opening for Metallica. Heavy and loud. Good warm up for Metallica's loud.

I didn't realize that the riverfront coliseum was still around. I thought they were planning on tearing it down with the ballpark.
Yeah it's called US Bank Arena now. Same building. The back end of GABP is in one spot just a few feet from the arena.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

A couple of the options for the new ball park showed them removing the arena, but they couldn't figure out how to pay for that too. That was why they demolished a couple sections of the old ballpark, to make enough room to squeeze the new park in during construction.

fineware

Nov 8, 2008
Remington, VA
I wasn't at that show. But I was at the Philly Spectrum show for that tour. I remember that we got there early enough to be within a stones throw of the gate doors. And, when showtime started to get close, getting pushed against them. Just a little scary, knowing what happened in Cinci.