30 For 30 - Wayne Gretzky Trade to LA

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
So ESPN's new documentary series 30 For 30 debuted last night & I give it a :bigthumbup:

Now I didn't know anything about Gretzky before this documentary besides the fact that he's a legend in Hockey, but wow, if I was a Canadian, I'd still be pissed with this dialogue:

Peter Berg: How many championships have you won in your career?

Wayne Gretzky: 4

Peter Berg: If you'd stayed in Edmonton, how many do you think you could have won?

Wayne Gretzky: If the team was good, 4 more.

:shock:

Gretzky thinks to this day he could have 4 more championships in Edmonton. Granted he doesn't have any regrets, but still. Pete Pocklington seemed to be a jerk back then, and even during the documentary interview he still seemed like a jerk. I may not be a hockey fan, but the documentary was totally compelling and informative. I gained a whole new respect for the sport.

Did anybody else see the premiere? Do the Canadian Hockey fans on DRC still hold resentment to Pocklington for the Gretzky trade?

East5N

Dec 4, 2008
Amazing piece they did on that whole situation back in the 80's.
It had a little bit of everything. As soon as Gretzky didnt feel wanted, he booked.
That kind of tells me there was a little bit of push from his wife at the time, but doesnt matter.

I really think Pocklington had no choice but to trade him, there was no way Edmonton was going to be able to pay him when his contract was up... NO POSSIBLE WAY.
It might not of been the best thing to happen to Edmonton, but it was something that was coming and had to be done otherwise he wouldnt of went else where via free agency.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Amazing piece they did on that whole situation back in the 80's.
It had a little bit of everything. As soon as Gretzky didnt feel wanted, he booked.
That kind of tells me there was a little bit of push from his wife at the time, but doesnt matter.

I really think Pocklington had no choice but to trade him, there was no way Edmonton was going to be able to pay him when his contract was up... NO POSSIBLE WAY.
It might not of been the best thing to happen to Edmonton, but it was something that was coming and had to be done otherwise he wouldnt of went else where via free agency.

They kind of got the last laugh because the won the cup two years later, and he never did.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Anyone watch the one last night about the Baltimore Colts? It was really good I thought. I can empathize with them having lost the Oilers here in Houston. Must still be tough for Baltimore though having to see the Colts still alive. I couldn't imagine if Tennessee kept the Oilers name.

I think next week's movie is about the old USFL.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Anyone watch the one last night about the Baltimore Colts? It was really good I thought. I can empathize with them having lost the Oilers here in Houston. Must still be tough for Baltimore though having to see the Colts still alive. I couldn't imagine if Tennessee kept the Oilers name.

Another great story. I still can't beleive the owner showed up drunk at the press conference:shock:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX

They really painted Donald Trump to be a big-time asshole. I wish I would have been around to watch Jim Kelly and the Houston Gamblers...

I had no idea that Steve Young is still being paid from his USFL contract...pretty sweet deal.

Young signed a record 10-year, $40 million contract with the Los Angeles Express of the now-defunct United States Football League in 1984. He agreed to take his payment in the form of an annuity to help the fledgling team; he would receive 40 million dollars paid out over 40 years. Young continues to receive his annuity. Payments started at $200,000 per year in 1990 and will continue to increase annually. In 2027, the final year of the contract, Young should receive $3.173 million.