30 days??????????

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I think most people would serve at least 3 years for this. Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, but still, 30 fing days!:shifty:

Donte Stallworth of Cleveland Browns reaches financial agreement with family of victim Mario Reyes - ESPN

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth took full responsibility for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida and began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth's attorney, Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

A source told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that while the financial terms of the settlement with the family have not been disclosed, Stallworth was covered by two insurance policies: a car insurance policy and a $5 million umbrella policy.

Stallworth, 28, told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken-driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
30 days for killing someone while driving under the influence, but Michael Vick gets two years for killing dogs. Absurd. :wtf:

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Its the american justice system for you let celeberties off easy, but not the average joe. I think he should of spent 20 years in bars.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
How many were paid off to let this happen? We know that the family of the deceased were paid off, but what about groups like MADD. Their first release on the matter started with "we haven't received any money from..." Sort of like someone starting a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but.....". They had to be paid off -- or lost their ambition towards the cause.

Vick was sent to jail for two years, left bankrupt, suspended from the NFL for killing dogs. 1/24th of Vick's term with a dent in his bank account for killing someone while drunk driving doesn't seem right. A year of home confinement, that allows return to football. How much time will he spend at home with training, training camps, and games during the season? The Browns are the ones screwed in this deal - they can't cut him without a 7million+ payoff. They should be able to let him go without pay and his roster bonus paid in the spring (the night before the accident).

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
In an unrelated sentencing, former MLB player Mel Hall was given a 45 year sentence for making sexual advances to underage girls. No parole for over 22 years. Making inappropriate touches and/or comments to a girl/woman of any age is never tolerated, but how is this crime 540-times worse than killing a pedestrian in your Bentley while intoxicated. He stated that the deceased was jaywalking and he flashed his lights at him before mowing him down. Sounds like he had the intent to make him "move or I will move you myself". 30 days versus over 16,000 days. Something seems out of balance. I guess Mel doesn't own a Bentley...

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It's nice to have lots of $$ and good lawyers.
If you are the victim's family, I bet it make you feel like a real piece of shit.

What a shame.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
If you are the victim's family, I bet it make you feel like a real piece of shit.

I guess it's like that person should have never existed to be killed in the first place. Like it was there fault for being born :rolleyes:

Here, we're going to give you 30 days for correcting a mistake :right: