2nd Q of the Day: 5.0V vs 5.2V Cig Adapters

deminimis

Sep 28, 2009
So, I have a host of 5.0 volt cig adapters that I used for my SL100 (for various vehicles). My new SL2 arrived today and it has a 5.2 Volt adapter. If I recall correctly the 5.2V adapters have a wee bit less amperage than the 5.0 volt adapters. Anyway, I'd like to avoid having to buy two more vehicle kits with the accompanying adapters and antennas. It would be cheaper for me if I could just buy some SL2 docks and use the 5.0 Volt adapters that I already have for my now dead SL100 unit (plus it would save me from rerouting new power lines). My guess is the difference between the two adapters (voltage and amperage) is so slight, it won't matter either way. However, if someone knows different, please shout out. Thanks.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
So, I have a host of 5.0 volt cig adapters that I used for my SL100 (for various vehicles). My new SL2 arrived today and it has a 5.2 Volt adapter. If I recall correctly the 5.2V adapters have a wee bit less amperage than the 5.0 volt adapters. Anyway, I'd like to avoid having to buy two more vehicle kits with the accompanying adapters and antennas. It would be cheaper for me if I could just buy some SL2 docks and use the 5.0 Volt adapters that I already have for my now dead SL100 unit (plus it would save me from rerouting new power lines). My guess is the difference between the two adapters (voltage and amperage) is so slight, it won't matter either way. However, if someone knows different, please shout out. Thanks.

There is relatively no difference in the two. I have had a SL100 on my desk powered by a 5.2v AC adapter for almost a year-no problem. I know several people who use them interchangeably. I have seen old S50 adapters that had 5.0v adapters with them and they work just fine on 5.2v.

Go ahead and use the 5.0v cables you already have-it'll work just fine.