2021 Movies and TV Shows

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We've watched the first 2 episodes of Allen vs Farrow. What a fucking creep.
Now that I've watched the 4 episode series, let's see if I can get this thread locked. :eek:

The 3rd episode involves Allen trying to disparage Farrow, and take the kids from her. The 4th episode is full of big movie stars showing support for Allen, and generally proclaiming his divine godliness as a writer and director.

So I wanted to share my perspective on Allen, and see what others thought. Firstly, I have to say that I'm clearly in the demographic for a Woody Allen fan: I'm a Jewish, clarinet playing intellectual from metro NYC. I grew up in a world where everyone loved him.

I was a fan of his early work. But I eventually tired of his "shtick" - the 40-something nebbishy New Yorker who's involved with obsessed, beautiful young women/ girls. I thought the premise was funny the 1st time, but then I got confused about what was intended to be funny, and what was just him.

Some of the biggest people in the industry think he's a genius. What does everyone here think?

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
He's a schmuck. All the things he's done, the allegations, him in a lot of movies with much younger females.

That said, I've probably seen 15 of his movies this year and I've liked most all of them. He has a gift for writing. Midnight in Paris is a particular favorite of mine.

I haven't watched the documentary.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I may be the only take him or leave him person on earth.
People either love him or hate him.
I'll laugh at some of his stuff, but usually get bored pretty quickly.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
so im watching a lot of ww2 movies and tv shows and the just make me cry...so fuck.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We dialed up Coming 2 America on Prime over the weekend, reluctantly for me. And at first, I thought "this is not gonna be good". But it did get pretty good and entertaining. Leslie Jones was a good choice.

There was some odd editing with the flashbacks. It looked a bit like watching a 3D movie without the glasses. And the pandemic forced much of the acting to be stitched together. But it was definitely worth the nothing we paid for it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We watched it the weekend that it came out.
We got some good laughs and it really wasn't too bad. I don't think that it deserves the bad reviews that it's been getting.
The original was better, but this was a fun chance to catch up with the characters again on a nostalgia trip.
It's waaaayyyyyy better than Zoolander 2.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Good to hear, I think you just swayed me into watching it.

I watched Hamilton. No complaints from me, very impressed. The music was great. Told a good story.
There are just so many mind-blowing elements; the storyline, script, historical details, humor, music, choreography, sets, singing, acting, dancing. One guy is responsible for most of that. The live performances are unreal. Even the concept is inspired.

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Hey Aaron, have you seen the new Emma? It's on HBO Max and I think is up for some Oscars but I'm wondering if it's worth watching that same story again. There have been multiple movies and TV shows straight up named "Emma" and of course there's also Clueless. I've seen the story so many times. Not sure if it's worth jumping in yet again.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Hey Aaron, have you seen the new Emma? It's on HBO Max and I think is up for some Oscars but I'm wondering if it's worth watching that same story again. There have been multiple movies and TV shows straight up named "Emma" and of course there's also Clueless. I've seen the story so many times. Not sure if it's worth jumping in yet again.

I did watch it, simply because of the Golden Globe nomination. It's good, but probably not necessary if you've seen the others.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I did watch it, simply because of the Golden Globe nomination. It's good, but probably not necessary if you've seen the others.

The last one I watched was the British TV show version...which is also on HBO Max right now. That was a while ago.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm enjoying The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom on the NatGeo section of Disney+.

It's a show about how they take care of all the animals at Animal Kingdom. The episode I'm watching now showed the epcot manatees. They had to drain puss out of some cyst on a poor manatee's tail. Also they trained one of the rinos to fetch. It's a sweet show.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Just finished 69: The Saga of Danny Hernandez on Hulu. It's all about Tekashi 69's rise to fame. It was quite good. They only cover the snitching for the last 20 mins or so. Most of the movie is about his rise. It makes it seem like he was really just a kid trying to do whatever it took to market himself and eventually that led to him getting involved with the Bloods and then he got in too deep. There's talk about how he beat his gf, so that's pretty bad, but besides that it makes him out to look pretty good, snitching and all.

It's worth a watch.

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Anybody saw the movie "Sorry to Bother You" from 2018? Starts off simple enough, guy takes a job as a telemarketer.... movie then goes some unexpected places. I liked it.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Anybody saw the movie "Sorry to Bother You" from 2018? Starts off simple enough, guy takes a job as a telemarketer.... movie then goes some unexpected places. I liked it.

It's funny how they use a different actor's voice (I think David Cross if I'm remembering correctly) when he's trying to act white.

But yea, that movie takes a real turn.

I liked it though, saw it around the time it came out while I was still working in a call center.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Since I'm going to DIsney tomorrow for the first time in over a month (way too long an absence) I'm getting in the mood with Disney movies.

I just watched Soul and the live action Mulan.

I think my expectations were too high for Soul. Everyone and every podcast I listen to talked about how amazing it was. I liked it but don't think it was all that great. 3/5.

Mulan was fun. Also not great but I liked it better than Soul. I'd say it's worth checking out. 3.5/5
Oh and it's a bummer that the actress who played Mulan isn't all that hot. I mean she's pretty, but not Hollywood leading lady hot. And I looked it up, she's in her 30's so I'm not being creepy, hah.

Last edited: