JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Watched 3 old movies I've seen before:

End of Watch - Very good cop movie. 3.5/5
Cloverfield - Every bit as good as I remembered. 4.5/5
Jerry Maguire - Doesn't hold up. 2/5

Then I finally got around to watching the final season of House of Cards. Without Kevin Spacey I had no interest in it but it turned out to be pretty good. Not as great as previous seasons but Robin Wright can hold her own. It was worth watching since I've seen all the other seasons.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm now going to rewatch all the good Alien movies...which consists of 3. Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. All the others suck. Now I know I like these three but it's been awhile so it's worth a rewatch.

1590130719457.png

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Watched Alien and Aliens. Besides the classic ending scene of Aliens, Alien is by far the better movie. Scott over Cameron in this case.

Now I have a suggestion for you guys. A doc on Netflix called Operation Odessa. It's a fun watch. It's about these guys who buy a bunch of military stuff from Russia after the Soviet Empire falls and they can get military helicopters and stuff really cheap. They then go and sell them to the Colombian cartel. About half way through they focus on how they were trying to buy a Soviet military submarine for the cartel. Operation Odessa, it's quite the movie.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Watched Alien and Aliens. Besides the classic ending scene of Aliens, Alien is by far the better movie. Scott over Cameron in this case.

Now I have a suggestion for you guys. A doc on Netflix called Operation Odessa. It's a fun watch. It's about these guys who buy a bunch of military stuff from Russia after the Soviet Empire falls and they can get military helicopters and stuff really cheap. They then go and sell them to the Colombian cartel. About half way through they focus on how they were trying to buy a Soviet military submarine for the cartel. Operation Odessa, it's quite the movie.

I was dragged to see Aliens (before the original). Scared me shitless. Tried years later to watch the original. Had to turn it off after the supper scene. Just too too too damn intense. The 3rd one was lame enough for me to watch it without nightmares.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm really getting my money's worth out of Netflix and Amazon these days. Just finished Patriot Games on Netflix. Harrison Ford played a good Jack Ryan. I enjoyed the movie.

I think I'll now finish my Alien trilogy with Prometheus.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Finished watching The Last Samurai. That is a very good Tom Cruise movie (I have a soft spot for Tom, he's a straight up movie star). It's another one I had seen before but well over 10 years ago so I only remembered the basic premise. I really liked it. Oh and one of the Samurai guys (Hiroyuki Sanada) has been in a ton of stuff. He's one of those guys where you see him and go, "oh, I know that guy" but don't know his name without looking it up. Anyway the movie is on Netflix and is definitely worth a watch. 4/5

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The Birth of a Nation (1915) is on Prime and I'm trying to finally watch it now. Never saw it but I know it's famous for being a major breakthrough in filmmaking and also for being super racist. I figured I give myself a bit of a history lesson and watch it. Oh boy it's tough to get through. I'm 10 mins in and bored stiff. I'm trying to have the mindset of a person back then going to see it but it's hard when my head is full of modern moviemaking. And it's 3+ hours long. I think I'll digest it in 15 minute spurts. And I can't even play Animal Crossing while watching it because I have to pay attention to those text cards that set up each scene. argh.

So talkies started in 1927, the year my dad was born. However Indonesia in the 20's and 30's was not exactly the epicenter of technology. My dad told me the first movies he saw were silent and there would be a dude in front of the screen playing a piano along to the movie. Crazy stuff.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Finished watching The Last Samurai. That is a very good Tom Cruise movie (I have a soft spot for Tom, he's a straight up movie star). It's another one I had seen before but well over 10 years ago so I only remembered the basic premise. I really liked it. Oh and one of the Samurai guys (Hiroyuki Sanada) has been in a ton of stuff. He's one of those guys where you see him and go, "oh, I know that guy" but don't know his name without looking it up. Anyway the movie is on Netflix and is definitely worth a watch. 4/5

It's a decent movie. I'll watch it every now and again if there isn't much else on.
The Birth of a Nation (1915) is on Prime and I'm trying to finally watch it now. Never saw it but I know it's famous for being a major breakthrough in filmmaking and also for being super racist. I figured I give myself a bit of a history lesson and watch it. Oh boy it's tough to get through. I'm 10 mins in and bored stiff. I'm trying to have the mindset of a person back then going to see it but it's hard when my head is full of modern moviemaking. And it's 3+ hours long. I think I'll digest it in 15 minute spurts. And I can't even play Animal Crossing while watching it because I have to pay attention to those text cards that set up each scene. argh.

So talkies started in 1927, the year my dad was born. However Indonesia in the 20's and 30's was not exactly the epicenter of technology. My dad told me the first movies he saw were silent and there would be a dude in front of the screen playing a piano along to the movie. Crazy stuff.
Birth of a Nation is supposed to be great (and hella-racist too) but I've never been able to bring myself to watch it. The idea of three hour silent movies puts me to sleep before they start. One of these times I'll try to force myself to watch it. It's one of those things that if you love movies, you should watch to understand movie history.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I have no interest in Netflix or any of its series but I, too, have been enjoying old episodes of What's My Line, To Tell The Truth and I've Got A Secret. Why don't we have a thread devoted to 1950s-60s television? I love the Marx Brothers. Here is Groucho as a panelist on What's My Line in 1959. When the mystery guest came out, Groucho was wearing his mask over his chin instead of his eyes. Then he put the mask over his nose. "My eyes are prettier," he explained.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Made it 45 mins into The Birth of a Nation. This is going to take me a few days to get all the way through. It's actually kinda entertaining though. At first the racism isn't so bad...just all the slaves seem happy to be slaves which is odd. At the 16 min mark the male slaves do a very stereotypical dance but besides those two things it's not that bad until about the 30 min mark where a bunch of Yankee black soldiers raid the house and are really made to look like savages. Luckily the Confederates come in and save the day, hah. I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse though...we'll see.

Oh and check out the title of the book this movie is based on, it's really something: "The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan". Oh boy.

• Wow
Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
1:20 into The Birth of a Nation now. The racism took a back seat to the Civil War for the past half hour. This is where the movie shines so far. Besides the crappy camera back then, the war scenes were really well done and resemble modern movies. I'm now seeing why this was such a breakthrough film.

Just started watching Westworld season 3 too. Hopefully this is a good season. It should be because Aaron Paul is in it and the robots have broken out of the park. Season 1 was amazing with a stellar twist at the end. Season 2 was a bit of a dissapointment. Hopefully season 3 redeems the show. I miss Michael Crichton.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's good to hear about Birth getting better.

I was looking at Westworld on-demand yesterday to see if season 1 was available. Only season 3 though. I had watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 when they came out, but missed some and never caught up. I'd like to watch it all from the beginning again.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We watched Space Force last night.
It was good. Not a laugh a minute, but entertaining enough to binge the whole thing.

I hope they do a second season. I want to find out what happens.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
We watched Space Force last night.
It was good.

Glad to hear you liked it. The critics are trashing it. I was going to give it a shot either way but I'll probably watch it sooner than later after your review.

I got a letter from Comcast today. I see that and my heart skips a beat. It's either I owe money or my proxy isn't working and they've caught on to my naughtiness. I open it up and it's neither! Apparently I have a $7.02 credit with them! Sweet! Now I need to go through the On Demand catalog and pick out a movie to rent.