2019 Movies & Tv Shows

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Wednesday I saw “Tigers Are Not Afraid”, a widely promoted Mexican magical realist film. It follows a group of children orphaned by the drug war as they struggle to survive and get vengeance against the criminals and politicians who murdered their family and friends. It was very dark and very good.

After that I saw “Maiden”, a documentary about the first all female crew to race in the Whitbread Round the World Race in 1989. This was excellent. It’s built from archival footage from the race and modern interviews with the people involved. The level of blatant sexism in 1989 is eye-opening.

Last night I saw two Kevin Bacon films. The first was “Flatliners”, a Joel Schumacher pile of crap about med students who live in a music video and give each other near death experiences. It was just awful.

After that I saw “Stir of Echoes”, a 1999 film about a kid who sees dead people that isn’t “The Sixth Sense”. It’s also superior to “The Sixth Sense” in every way. Gripping from start to finish, it doesn’t rely on an inattentive audience. The story is filled with so many Stephen King elements it might be the second best Stephen King movie I’ve ever seen, only it’s based on a Richard Matheson novel from 1958.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The level of blatant sexism in 1989 is eye-opening.
That's surprising.
Last night I saw two Kevin Bacon films. The first was “Flatliners”, a Joel Schumacher pile of crap about med students who live in a music video and give each other near death experiences. It was just awful.
That's a popular "flipping through the channels" movie. It's an odd premise.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Going to see IT2 later today. Not really looking forward to it. But I promised my wife I would go with her.
Completely disappointed. I wasn't even scared. Startled a couple times. And a couple gross scenes. It was "predictably scary" therefore useless as a horror vehicle. Also confusing Took a while to figure out which characters where which.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last night I saw "The Running Man", which is a movie about a man who runs. He appears on a game show called "Running Man", but the film can't be about that game show because of the missing definite article. No, it is about a man who runs. He doesn't run much, or well. He is casually violent to a woman who had the misfortune to move into his house after he left it. He kills with glee, usually uttering an inane pun or one liner to punctuate each death.

My favorite part was when The Running Man has to escape from a prison labor camp. He has to fight nameless guards in black outfits with black metal helmets. One of the guards controls the security perimeter technology, which causes heads to explode if a prisoner tries to leave. He has a box that controls the perimeter which he keeps on a card table in some rubble. This guy comes to work every day and sits at this wobbly card table and pushes buttons on the box to let people in and out of the prison labor camp. Not once does he ask for a real table, or maybe a little hut to keep the rain off of him and the control box. Nor does anyone volunteer to bring in an table from home they aren't using anymore. No, they just use a flimsy card table, in some rubble. That was the high point of this film for me.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
MoviePass was founded in 2011 in New York City. Initially, subscribers could pay a fee and see as many movies as they wanted. Then MoviePass would pay the admission prices directly to the theaters. So let's see: I buy a $50 membership, see a hundred movies at my local theater and MoviePass will pay the theater $1,050. Yeah, that's a good business model. I'm surprised MoviePass lasted this long.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Completely disappointed. I wasn't even scared. Startled a couple times. And a couple gross scenes. It was "predictably scary" therefore useless as a horror vehicle. Also confusing Took a while to figure out which characters where which.
I went again with my son a couple of weeks ago. I watched the original the night before. This helped reduce the confusion and made it a better movie. There is one scene which is scarier the second time. Best scene in the movie. It is when Bev visits her old apartment.