2012 Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced:

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
And KISS.

I don't understand that one. I can see that the voters don't want anything to do with progressive rock, except for the obvious choice of Pink Floyd. Most rockers in or soon to be in the hall were probably developing their licks by listening to a 2112 album. Bands like Rush, Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson (and many others) were innovators with some longevity but are ignored year after year. If Genesis didn't turn into hit machine in the 80s, they would probably be on the sidelines with the other prog rockers. Instead, they will add bands with rather short lifetimes like the Hollies and (small) Faces.

Kiss seems to be another obvious choice = tours, sales, fan base, longevity. Maybe Gene Simmons pissed someone off that is associated with the HOF voting.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
In my mind, the three criteria for HOF consideration should be... (and in no particular order)
1. Commercial success
2. Critical success (was your art deemed "good" by those in the know)
3. Influence on other artists

I'd be inclined to include artists who had 2 of the three, minimum.

Going by that, I'd include Rush and KISS. Obvious commercial success and influence...

Chicago and 'Hall & Oates' for example had enormous commercial appeal, but not so much the other two.

Just my two cents.