2009 MLB At Bat iPhone app to include Home and Away broadcasts on Gameday Audio

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
As a baseball fan, I’m not sure how I missed this. (Perhaps it was the typical mid-winter doldrums.) Following up last year’s $5 MLB At-Bat app for the iPhone, Major League Baseball has released a new free version of its live scoreboard app just in time for spring training and the World Baseball Classic. And there’s promise for much more by the time the regular season arrives.

Available now, MLB.com At Bat Lite is a free app that will provide live baseball scores all year long, as well as real-time play-by-play for select pre-season and WBC games during March.
That’s nice and all, but the bigger news is that the forthcoming MLB.com At Bat 2009 app will include not just live in-game video highlights and the MLB gameday feature added late last season, but support for Gameday Audio. That means you’ll be able to use the app to tune in the radio broadcast of any game, with home or away announcers, including the broadcast from your local teams. It's unclear what the full MLB.com At Bat 2009 app will cost — for what it's worth, MLB.com charges $15 for a season of GameDay audio streamed to a Mac or PC.
For more information, Major League Baseball has posted a promotional video of At Bat 2009. The video says the full app will be available on April 2—just in time for the regular season, which begins Sunday, April 5.

MLB At Bat 2009 to include game audio | Software | iPhone Central | Macworld

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
This is something that I have mentioned in previous forums , and I think it would be good for those who cant get Baseball on Sirius yet or haved dumped Satellite Radio all together and Have a I phone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
As long as the price doesn't increase dramatically I may jump on this one. The one thing I miss about XM is baseball. And I can get the home and away broadcast teams so I'm not forced to listen to John Sterling when the red sox are at Yankee stadium.
Posted via Mobile Device

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Doesn't this sort of make XM's package with the MLB irrelevent now? If you can hear the broadcast of every game now for free on the iProducts, then XM is now paying 500 million for Home Plate:shock:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I'm not sure it'll be free, they do charge $15 for the Gameday Audio Service itself, but it'll be a huge cost savings over satellite radio since you won't have to pay $13 a month for it. I do wonder if that will make the other leagues follow suit. THAT would make satellite radio irrelevant (or MORE irrelevant) since you now have apps for music, news/talk, sports, you can even get Howard Stern on Shoutcast, and you can get Bob Edwards and Opie and Anthony on Audible if that's your thing. I would probably guess that there is nothing on satellite radio that isn't being offered in some form online.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The MLB app now includes 10 minutes of game highlight videos 90 minutes after completion of the game. One less reason to have to sit through the Red Sox/Yankees lovefest on Sports Center.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
MLB iPhone app now includes Gameday VIDEO!!

MLB At-Bat app embraces iPhone 3.0, adds live video

By Jason Snell , Macworld , 06/17/2009
Sponsored by:

Major League Baseball just keeps adding features to its groundbreaking MLB At Bat 2009 iPhone app.

Last year, the app began as a simple live-score program with in-game video highlights, then added in-depth MLB Gameday pitch-by-pitch information. This year's model topped that with support for live game audio, the addition of condensed games featuring the resolution of every at-bat -- and won an Apple Design Award to boot. And now, with the release of the iPhone OS 3.0 software update, there's even more: support for live streaming video.

That's right, baseball fans -- beginning with the White Sox-Cubs interleague game Thursday at 2:20 p.m. ET, users of the updated MLB At Bat 2009 app will be able to see up to two live games a day. (The other live game scheduled for Thursday is Tigers-Cardinals at 8:15 p.m. ET.) MLB says that its entire slate of games will be available "shortly after" this initial launch of two games per day.

What's more, MLB says that video will stream over either a Wi-Fi connection or the cellular network. There's just one catch to this video streaming: as with all Internet video streaming from Major League Baseball, your local teams won't be available.

MLB At Bat 2009, which costs $10, is functional for the entire 2009 baseball season and postseason. And it's a pretty good deal: comparable audio-streaming features from MLB.com cost $15, it's $20 for a combination of live-audio and Gameday features, and live game video sells for $70 per year.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
If you are already an MLB.TV subscriber online, you now have the ability to watch ALL games on MLB.TV on the iPhone app. All you need is your username and password for the service. If you are not an MLB.TV subscriber you can still watch the MLB.TV Game of the Day which will be available at no extra charge. And there's still the radio broadcasts for home AND away.

If the requirements don't change for next season I may subscribe to MLB.TV to get this service on my phone. The money isn't right now, and besides that the season is half over.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I've said this before, but MLB really "gets it" with regard to using the web as a distribution tool. There is really no other sport that provides so much value to the fans online. Most avid fans are willing to pay a premium for the real premium content that MLB has developed.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Newest app update includes the ability to purchase Individual MLB.TV games within the app for 99 cents a game. If there is one game you want to watch without purchasing the whole package, you can do that now.