2008 World Series

Who do you think will win the 2008 World Series

• Philadelphia Phillies

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Tampa Bay Rays

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think TB will win it in 5 or 6.

As to homefield, they should use the overall interleague recordIf the AL collectively beats the NL more, the AL would host the WS (and visa versa). If the records are tied, use either last years winner or the AllStar game as a tiebreaker.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I like Tampa in this series for a couple of reasons. One, I really think the week lay-off for the Phillies is going to hurt them. Seven days off is a big deal, since things like timing and routine are so important in the game of baseball. I think it'll take Philly a game or two to get back in the zone, and by that time, they may already be down 2-0. Also, Tampa has home field advantage. Plus, in addition to all that, I think Tampa has the better team. Hamels may be the best pitcher in this series, but Tampa has a better overall staff when you talk about guys like Kazmir, Shields, and Garza. And that Tampa lineup...they're bound to go deep at any time. And after that clutch 4-out save in Game 7 last night, I'll be interested to see if Maddon chooses to use David Price in late-inning situations against Philly.

Game 1 on Wednesday should be great with the two southpaws (Hamels and Kazmir) taking the ball.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
I am going to say the Rays in 7...just because of all of the former Twins players they have now! :rolleyes:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I wish the World Series was NOT on Fox...the team on TBS is so much better with Ernie Johnson, Ripken, and Eckersley. This Jeannie Zelasko needs to shut her freaking mouth, she might be worse than Linda Cohn, and that's sayin something.. And while Chip Caray (on TBS) leaves a lot to be desired, I'd take him ANY day over Joe Buck. That guy is absolutely atrocious. Smarmy little bastard, he's insufferable.

Anyone see that opening piece with Michael Douglas, McCain, and Obama as narrators? It was okay. Looking forward to the game...I'll be interested to see how Philly comes out swinging the bats after their week lay-off.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'll be interested to see how Philly comes out swinging the bats after their week lay-off.

So far, they're swingin them pretty good. Well, at least Utley is. Although, even I may have been able to take that Kazmir fastball deep...gotta get those down, Scotty. Kazmir in trouble again in the 2nd. I'm rooting for him though, I went to middle school with the guy.

Edit: Saved by Upton!

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
And while Chip Caray (on TBS) leaves a lot to be desired, I'd take him ANY day over Joe Buck. That guy is absolutely atrocious. Smarmy little bastard, he's insufferable.

This is what I've dealt with for so long. When it wasn't Joe Buck denigrating Bonds during the World Series, it was Joe Buck pointing out what a bad guy he is to the media. SHUT THE FUCK UP, BUCK, it's the WORLD SERIES, I WANT TO ENJOY THE GAME!!!!

That said, Buck was about as bad as having to endure Joe Gariagiola and Vin Scully call the 1987 National League Playoffs. Great...we're playing St. Louis in the playoffs after sixteen years and we have to listen to an ex-Cardinal and the voice of the Dodgers...just awesome.

That said, I hate Buck, he adds nothing. I also hated his double teaming of Manny Ramirez during the playoffs. Buck pretended to be the bad cop to McCarver's good cop. I guess he did the right thing to try and take some heat off of his booth mate, but I saw right through it.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
What a game, what a game. Now they just have to hold on (this game) and not fall apart (the rest of the games) like the Philly teams I have come to love.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
So many former Astros in this series. Dan Wheeler, Trever Miller, Ben Zobrist (farm system), Jim Hickey, Gerry Hunsicker (TB's GM), Eric Bruntlett, and of course, Brad Lidge. We should have never let Hunsicker get away...damn you Drayton McClane!

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Well Game 1 is now over and the Phillies won 3-2, lead the series 1-0. I think the series could go at least 5 games?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the series could go at least 5 games?

Yeah, I'd bet the proverbial house on it. Tampa Bay isn't getting swept. I expect the series to go at least 6 games, possibly 7...something we haven't seen in the World Series since '02.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
By the way, Jason Bartlett won America a free taco last night...how exciting!

002_redem.jpg

Deacon

Oct 14, 2008
14.4 miles from Pepe's Pizza
I can't stand the Taco Bell thing. I was watching game 7 of the ALCS and they kept running a taco bell banner across the bottom of the screen telling all about this great deal.

Who gives a fuck? Whoo Hooo! I just got me a free 0.89 taco. Life is now worth living!

Last edited:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I can't stand the Taco Bell thing. I was watching game 7 of the ALCS and they kept running a taco bell kept banner across the bottom of the screen telling all about this great deal.

Who gives a fuck? Whoo Hooo! I just got me a free 0.89 taco. Life is now worth living!

TV is getting downright unwatchable these days with all of the animated graphics, crawls, pop ups, promos, bugs, etc. You barely have a 2" X 2" window to watch the show on some channels, while the rest of the real estate on the screen is occupied by crap.

OK...I'm done sounding like an old man.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
TV is getting downright unwatchable these days with all of the animated graphics, crawls, pop ups, promos, bugs, etc. You barely have a 2" X 2" window to watch the show on some channels, while the rest of the real estate on the screen is occupied by crap.

OK...I'm done sounding like an old man.

I watched 'The Chocolate News' tonight and the show opened with DAG reminding white people about Obama being half white, so as to make sure the white populace wouldn't feel bad voting for him. The opening shot was supposed to be that of Obama's head, but instead of seeing Obama's face, the viewers saw a TV warning sign. The warning covered his face perfectly and it stayed up for more than 10 seconds, thereby insuring that the joke lost a little bit of its punch.

A little later on a little vampire popped up in the bottom left hand corner and shot its fangs out. I can't remember what it was promoting because I was trying not to be distracted by its presence.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Price was getting hit pretty hard in that 9th inning. I think Maddon showed a lot of confidence in the rookie by keeping him out there. Looks like he might be the Rays' closer the rest of the way, especially if Utley and Howard are due up.