200 pt fine 200k money fine!!!

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, but if this one of the big name driver and teams there would not be a 12 race driver and owner suspensions. Just like the whole Jeremy Mayfield thing.
I'll be amazed when its a "full" time driver

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
IMO, NASCAR is doing exactly what they said they would do, fines and suspensions increased when these infractions occur.

What really sucks about the whole thing is that they never even raced the engine. The engine had issues in practice and was changed. It was then examined under NASCAR rules and found to be illegal. I hope that under the appeal process that they are able to get the fine/suspensions reduced although don't hold your breath. :no:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Yeah, but if this one of the big name driver and teams there would not be a 12 race driver and owner suspensions. Just like the whole Jeremy Mayfield thing.
I'll be amazed when its a "full" time driver

This was a pretty serious infraction. I think they did the right thing hopefully it'll show other teams it won't be tolerated
I think if it was a bigger name there still may have been a driver suspension. No where near 12 races though.

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
IMO, NASCAR is doing exactly what they said they would do, fines and suspensions increased when these infractions occur.

What really sucks about the whole thing is that they never even raced the engine. The engine had issues in practice and was changed. It was then examined under NASCAR rules and found to be illegal. I hope that under the appeal process that they are able to get the fine/suspensions reduced although don't hold your breath. :no:

The problem here though is the fact that they "planned" to run the engine, just cause they had problems with it doesn't change the facts.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The problem here though is the fact that they "planned" to run the engine, just cause they had problems with it doesn't change the facts.

Don't misinterpret my post. I don't have any problem with the fine/penalties. I was simply stating that for their sake, I hope that they can somehow get some kind of reduction in the fines/penalties. It doesn't matter to me one way or another as I don't even follow their program. I kind of look at it as the guy/gal that goes to fight the speeding ticket. That's all. :cool:

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
Don't misinterpret my post. I don't have any problem with the fine/penalties. I was simply stating that for their sake, I hope that they can somehow get some kind of reduction in the fines/penalties. It doesn't matter to me one way or another as I don't even follow their program. I kind of look at it as the guy/gal that goes to fight the speeding ticket. That's all. :cool:

I agree with you, i feel bad for the guy cause it's probably gonna cost him his regular job as well at least for a while and he released a statement saying he'd bought the engine from a builder and had no idea it was illegal but i don't think NASCAR cares. He was caught with it and i think he's gonna pay the heavy price for it, we'll see.

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
Who comes back to NASCAR first? Who will it be easier for to come back first? Jeremy Mayfield or Carl Long's crew chief?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
There is no way in the world NASCAR would have done the same thing if this had been the 88 or the 14 or the 24 ect....

NASCAR did this because they are a one car team that contributes nothing to NASCAR. Other than a famous crash at Rockingham, Carl Long is nothing in NASCARS eyes. His sponsor (if any) doesn't help NASCAR in any way. No track sponsorship. No race sponsorship. No Pole Award like Coors.

Just like a last year when Robbie Gordon went thru the inspection lane with the wrong nose on the car. Had that been the 88, 14 (20 last year), 24, they would have gotten a fine & nothing more, but NASCAR decided to put pressure on Robbie. It was their chance to "Wrachet (sp?) up the pennelties" only comes when it's the "little guy" that has the problems...:shock:

This is the preception that NASCAR portrays to the public. With the lack of a rule book made to the public & no list of pennelties for all to see, it give them the right to push around the teams that can least afford it...:worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
There is no way in the world NASCAR would have done the same thing if this had been the 88 or the 14 or the 24 ect....

I actually look forward to the day that one of the big teams get caught for one of these type of infractions to see if that is the case. NASCAR has stated that they are escalating the fines/suspensions and that seems to be the case.

NASCAR did this because they are a one car team that contributes nothing to NASCAR. Other than a famous crash at Rockingham, Carl Long is nothing in NASCARS eyes. His sponsor (if any) doesn't help NASCAR in any way. No track sponsorship. No race sponsorship. No Pole Award like Coors.

I'd think that if the motive behind this was to eliminate small teams, why not institute a rule where you have to have three or more teams? Do you honestly think that they have something against small teams? What can NASCAR possibly have to gain by eliminating a team like Carl Longs?

Just like a last year when Robbie Gordon went thru the inspection lane with the wrong nose on the car. Had that been the 88, 14 (20 last year), 24, they would have gotten a fine & nothing more, but NASCAR decided to put pressure on Robbie. It was their chance to "Wrachet (sp?) up the pennelties" only comes when it's the "little guy" that has the problems...:shock:

Completely opinion and not fact. Here's a short list of some of NASCAR's biggest fine. There are some big names along with big fines on there.

#46-Carl Long, May 2009, Lowe's Motor Speedway/Sprint Showdown, Oversized Engine, Charles Swing, $200,000/200, 12 race suspension
#55-Michael Waltrip Racing, Feb. 2007, Daytona, Fuel/Additive, David Hyder $100,000/100 Indefinite Suspension
#24-Jeff Gordon/Hendrick Motorsports, July 2007, Sonoma, Front Fender Manipulation, Steve Letarte, $100,000/100, 6 races
#48-Jimmie Johnson/Hendrick Motorsports, July 2007, Sonoma, Front Fender Manipulation, Chad Knaus, $100,000/100, 6 races
#2-Kurt Busch/Penske Racing, June 2007, Dover, Endangering crew member, Drivers $100,000, Team/Driver 100 pts
#8-Dale Earnhardt Inc. May 2007, Darlington, Rear Wing Brackets, Tony Eury Jr. $100,000/100, 6 events
#24-Hendrick Motorsports May 1995, suspension parts, Ray Evernham $60,000/none None

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
so from those facts you just posted, there was no fines in 2008??? so nascar decides to esculate the fine $50,000 and 50 point/year. so in 16 years it should cost a team a cool mill if they are busted.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
so from those facts you just posted, there was no fines in 2008??? so nascar decides to esculate the fine $50,000 and 50 point/year. so in 16 years it should cost a team a cool mill if they are busted.

I simply listed out NASCAR's largest penalties/fines to prove a point. Here are links to all fines but I warn you, it's a long read.....

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Sprint Cup 2009 Penalties
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Sprint Cup 2008 Penalties
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup 2007 Penalties
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup 2006 Penalties
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup Penalties 2005
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Nextel Cup Penalties 2004
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Winston Cup Penalties 2003
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - Winston Cup Penalties 2001/2002

Any more than that, you're on your own.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA

It took me a little while but I did find the followup on that penalty.....

The following is a statement from Robby Gordon regarding today's decision by the National Stock Car Racing Commission restoring his 100 owner and driver points as well as reversing the six-week suspension of crew chief Frank Kerr. The commission did increase the fine from $100,000 to $150,000. Gordon is now 21st in driver points. Robby Gordon: "We see this as good news. We are grateful the commissioners rescinded the points penalty and suspension but disappointed by the fine. Still, we see this as a victory for Robby Gordon Motorsports. We feel like justice was done and appreciate NASCAR creating a system that allowed us to take our appeal to the National Stock Car Racing Commission. Now we plan to put this issue behind us and concentrate on making the "Chase" in 2008 as well as getting the Jim Beam Dodge into victory lane. I want to thank the thousands of fans and our sponsors who have supported us through this episode and want everyone of you to know how much we appreciate all that you have done. Our goal is to be a model team in the future and never go through something like this again."(Robby Gordon Motorsports PR)(3-5-2008)

So..... Through the appeals process, fine increased & 100 points returned.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I'd think that if the motive behind this was to eliminate small teams, why not institute a rule where you have to have three or more teams? Do you honestly think that they have something against small teams? What can NASCAR possibly have to gain by eliminating a team like Carl Longs?

I don't think that NASCAR is in anyway trying to put small teams out of business. There is a need for small teams. If there were 10 four car teams and one 3 car teams, that wouldn't benefit NASCAR. The more smaller teams push bigger teams, the better the competition will be...:)

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
well if i remember correctly carl got hit last year because of his oil tank lid and that was also a pretty significant penalty. i believe that was $100k, 100 points and osbourne was out what, 6 races.

my point is you listed most of 07 and those were $100k fines and the 99's happened in 08 and got the same penalties. so a year later nascar decides to increase the penalties by $100k and extra 100 points. so at this rate it will cost a team a million dollars in 2025.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
well if i remember correctly carl got hit last year because of his oil tank lid and that was also a pretty significant penalty. i believe that was $100k, 100 points and osbourne was out what, 6 races.

my point is you listed most of 07 and those were $100k fines and the 99's happened in 08 and got the same penalties. so a year later nascar decides to increase the penalties by $100k and extra 100 points. so at this rate it will cost a team a million dollars in 2025.

Ok, how does a nose piece rate the same penalty then an oil lid cover?...:right: