20 things that make you look like a sports doofus

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I'm guilty. You're culpable. We're all felonious. Sooner or later, every last one of us ends up looking like a sports doofus -- casting sound social judgment overboard, setting sail with the tempestuous winds of passionate fandom, dropping anchor in the murky waters of athletic-related behavior that comes across as utterly ridiculous.
[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva]Oh, gosh, and the mascot is involved, too. Yikes![/FONT]Have you ever owned a wild-card hat?
Worn baseball pants to play slo-pitch softball?
Proposed via JumboTron?
Beat out a kid for an autograph?
If your answer is yes, you've definitely suffered from sports doofusdom; if your answer is no, you've probably suffered anyway. But buck up. We're here to help. The real tragedy of looking like a sports doofus isn't that the condition afflicts so many -- it's that the disease is so easily preventable. And all you need is better awareness.
As a public service, Page 2 presents 20 things that make you look like a sports doofus:

The 20 things that make you look like a sports doofus - ESPN

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I'll add one to the list. The dorks who sit behind home plate and wave to the camera on their cell phones. Sit the F*ck down!!

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
A lot of that rings true.

I distinctly remember tons of people were wearing Saints wildcard shirts in 1988, after a playoff game we lost 44-10! But, hey, it followed 20 straight non-winning seasons. It was a sign of progress.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I remember the Rockies Wild Card banner up in Coors Field before we went to the series. That was the ultimate Sports Doofus moment for the entire club.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I remember the Rockies Wild Card banner up in Coors Field before we went to the series. That was the ultimate Sports Doofus moment for the entire club.

I honestly don't think that's bad at all. You made the postseason, why not celebrate it?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The team took a good amount of crap for it. Even though it was the first time they made the postseason. But they have the division championship banner to replace it. Maybe this year, too. Who knows.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I have always been amused at number 5 for all fans even in the cheap seats. They act like if they get the t-shirt, it will pay off their mortgage or something. :rolleyes:

5. Going crazy over giveaway T-shirts and burritos when you're occupying $500 seats

EDIT: It is not on the list but my sports doofus thing I am currently guilty of is that I watched the Steelers preseason game last Thursday and am now currently listening to the satellite radio version that I recorded.

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I have always been amused at number 5 for all fans even in the cheap seats. They act like if they get the t-shirt, it will pay off their mortgage or something. :rolleyes:

5. Going crazy over giveaway T-shirts and burritos when you're occupying $500 seats

EDIT: It is not on the list but my sports doofus thing I am currently guilty of is that I watched the Steelers preseason game last Thursday and am now currently listening to the satellite radio version that I recorded.

Yes, I think watching Preseason games should be added to the list. Although I did catch the Broncos losing last night. 3-13 baby!:rolleyes: