1999 Mustang Convertible install advice?

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Hi folks, I was lucky enough to get a Stiletto 2 for Xmas and will soon be installing the vehicle dock. I've done some sniffing around these forums for the last few days gathering ideas for my install, but wanted to know if any of you have experience or advice to offer with an installation in my 1999 Mustang Convertible?

Thanks in advance!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I'd like to know where you're going to put the antenna. Trunk?

Whatever you do, don't just put it on the dash. Especially with the top up...:right:

Good luck...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I'd like to know where you're going to put the antenna. Truck?

Whatever you do, don't just put it on the dash. Especially with the top up...:right:

Good luck...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

I was really hoping to avoid sticking anything to the body of the car so I was going to try using double sided tape and putting the antenna on the dash but off to the side so I can properly conceal the cables. Any particular reason you don't suggest putting it on the dash?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Reception is always better with the antenna on the outside of the car.

I've read threads from people that have put plastic between the antenna & the car body. Seems to work for them...:)

I remember someone posted pics on a convertable install on SBS showing the antenna on top of the windshield. That might work, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Reception is always better with the antenna on the outside of the car.

I've read threads from people that have put plastic between the antenna & the car body. Seems to work for them...:)

I remember someone posted pics on a convertable install on SBS showing the antenna on top of the windshield. That might work, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I figure I'll do the on-dash install and see how it works for a couple weeks. If I find the reception is bad then I'll look at my other options. The windshield my car is angled more horizontally than most cars so it may have a better view of the sky than many vehicles. It's worth a try :)

fineware

Nov 8, 2008
Remington, VA
I have a 2000 convertible with absolutely no place on the body to mount the "dot" antenna. I ended up doing exactly what you are going to try: double-sided tape on the bottom of the dot, mounting the antenna as close to the front of the dash as possible. I also carefully popped the flashing off the defroster vent in order to route the cable down into the dash, replacing the flashing once the dot was mounted.

This setup has worked fine for me for several years. Yeah, there's a little signal degredation due to the anti-shatter plastic inside the windshield, but it's not enough to really kill it. What kills it more are not having a good mounting position with a full 360 degree "view".

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I have a 2000 convertible with absolutely no place on the body to mount the "dot" antenna. I ended up doing exactly what you are going to try: double-sided tape on the bottom of the dot, mounting the antenna as close to the front of the dash as possible. I also carefully popped the flashing off the defroster vent in order to route the cable down into the dash, replacing the flashing once the dot was mounted.

This setup has worked fine for me for several years. Yeah, there's a little signal degredation due to the anti-shatter plastic inside the windshield, but it's not enough to really kill it. What kills it more are not having a good mounting position with a full 360 degree "view".

Well, there's always the trunk mount option, but I don't think that would look very good on a bright yellow car like mine. It would really stand out.

What kind of signal strength are you getting? (approx %)

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Last night I tested everything out in the car, and so far it all seems to be working well except for one thing, the FM reception. It seems that the tiny antenna that came with the vehicle dock doesn't work so well unless there is a clear line-of-sight to the car's radio antenna.

For a solution, what I'm thinking is that I will buy the long FM antenna and run it along the same path I'm planning for the Sirius antenna (on the dash off to the passenger side) which will be very close to the car's antenna.

I don't want to use the FM direct connection since I want to be able to relocate all my gear in the future without tearing things apart. Keeping this in mind, anyone have comments/suggestions?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Good to see everything is working good...:)

Too bad you don't have a line in to use the aux on you stereo...:(
Posted via Mobile Device

fineware

Nov 8, 2008
Remington, VA
Well, there's always the trunk mount option, but I don't think that would look very good on a bright yellow car like mine. It would really stand out.

If you don't have the spoiler it's an option. Otherwise you are severely blocking the antenna. The 2000 spoiler wraps around the back of the trunk.

What kind of signal strength are you getting? (approx %)

I have an S50, so there's no numeric measurement. I'm in central Virginia, so I need to be open to the Western sky - right about tree-level. So I'm generally ok until I'm blocked by trees and overpasses, or the Sat is in direct line to the dot - with me in between. ;)

This is digital anyway, so anything above the bit error rate threshold (about 30% of full strength) should be good enough.

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
So last night I called Sirius support to see if it was possible that something was wrong with my FM antenna. The first technician I had on the line was having a hard time understanding the difference between the FM transmitter antenna and the Sirius satellite antenna (idiotic I know), so he passed the call off to his supervisor who was incredibly helpful.

After also coming to the conclusion that the FM antenna plug that came with my Stiletto2 could be faulty, he credited my account $20 so I could order a replacement from the Sirius website since he had none available to ship out as a warranty replacement.

Also, as a temporary measure while waiting for the new antenna to ship, he suggested that I may want to take an old pair of garbage headphones I don't want anymore and just cut the headphones off at the end of the wire, and use that for an FM antenna in the meantime.

Rather than order online and wait for shipping, I'm going to stop at Future Shop today and see if they have the replacement antenna in stock. When all is said and done, I will have made money from this problem considering the price for this antenna is MUCH less than $20.

Great customer service Sirius! I'm impressed :bigthumbup: