$15 fee to swap radios on a replacement??

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Sirius-XM is really starting to annoy me. Is there anything they don't charge for anymore?? No more free internet stream, a $2/month price increase and now they're charging $15 to do a radio swap??

They're really pushing it with me. Once Stern goes I'm going to have a hard time justifying keeping XM. I like other shows, but there's a bullsh*t to enjoyment ratio and only so much bullsh*t I'm willing to take.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That fee has been around for a while, IIRC. However, you were usually able to sweet talk the phone rep into waiving the fee. Maybe they are not so flexible these days??

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
you don't say it's a radio swap. It's you have a broken radio and thinking about cancelling...then you get a free radio and no radio swap fee.

escapecar

Nov 10, 2008
It depends on the rep. I've had TWO radios stolen in the last six months. They waived the fee the second time.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think the swap fee has been buried in the mouseprint for a while with a bunch of hedge clauses like "may charge up to $15" or something like that.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
There so money hungry now. It does depend on the rep. I'm sure there talking about adding as many fees as they can. It's like Time Warner took over. I left them a while back. They charge for EVERYTHING.......

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If you tell them your radio was broken and you need to swap, usually they will wave this fee. This all started back in March of 2008. I think a lot of the problem is that some folks were just swapping radios all the time and this was taking up a lot of the reps time. I don't agree with it, but why don't they just add this online and let folks do it themselves then it wouldn't tie up a rep at all.

None the less there is little doubt they are starting to charge for everything. Sort of reminds me of banks!

Chicago_Doggin

Jun 10, 2009
With most companies, if you tell them you want to cancel you'll get transferred to a retention agent who can cut you better deals than a regular CSR. I did that with Comcast for years. I'm sure Sirius|XM has a similar set up.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
With most companies, if you tell them you want to cancel you'll get transferred to a retention agent who can cut you better deals than a regular CSR. I did that with Comcast for years. I'm sure Sirius|XM has a similar set up.
true- regular cs cant do squat, cancellation dept can do nearly anything.

jduffy

May 2, 2009
Sirius-XM is really starting to annoy me. Is there anything they don't charge for anymore?? No more free internet stream, a $2/month price increase and now they're charging $15 to do a radio swap??

They're really pushing it with me. Once Stern goes I'm going to have a hard time justifying keeping XM. I like other shows, but there's a bullsh*t to enjoyment ratio and only so much bullsh*t I'm willing to take.

They have never charged me for a radio swap. If they did, I would just cancel. So if they think $15 is worth it versus losing a customer, that's their decision. I am not going to keep getting nickel and dime'd to death because they over-paid for Stern.

Ecsa0014

Aug 31, 2009
GA
I just got hit with this fee today when activating my new Stiletto 2. After paying $100 (thanks to a Fry's price mistake :) ) after $50 MIR for the reciever and car kit, I am now hit with a $15 activation fee. If I had paid the full $300 I would be extremely ticked. I only let it slide this time because of the great price I got on the receiver. The customer service rep also constantly annoyed me with all of these "great offers" even after being repeatedly told "No Thank You, I just want to swap out my radio". All of this on top of the recent slight rate increase. Sirius-XM is going to nickel and dime me right into cancelling my service.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I am not going to keep getting nickel and dime'd to death because they over-paid for Stern.

Come on, give the guy a break.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I am not going to keep getting nickel and dime'd to death because they over-paid for Stern.

I am so sick and tired of all you haters bitching about what Stern gets. They did not over pay for Stern. They over paid for Bruce Springsteen, Martha Stewart, Jamie Fox, Oprah Winfrey, MLB, Nascar, and NBA.

Now back on topic.....If you select cancel your account from the vru, you will get an customer rep that speaks fluent English. Tell them you wish to cancel your account because the csr you spoke with wanted to charge you a $15 fee for swapping your broken receiver. They will activate your new receiver, waive the fee, and probably offer you some free programming, or a new radio.

atlwxman

Oct 14, 2008
Canceling seems to be the magic word these days at Sirius. I've been trying to cancel for awhile now. Just finished up 5 free months of service. When I called yesterday to cancel, they offered me a 5 month sub for 19.95.

When I call I'm always polite and say that I like the service, but that it has become too expensive, and that I started listening to Pandora after they did away with the free online listening.